RM 250 top end rebuild, need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys this past week the piston skirt shattered on my 98' RM 250, and the pieces were no where to be found. It was running before i took it apart, and did not seize supprizingly! I turned the bike upside down and flushed out the crank then sprayed out the crank then properly oiled it. I didn't see any large chunks fall out, but then again would't they disintegrate at the rpm's the motor runs? The crank bearing has no play in it what so ever, and would hate to split the case seeing how much work it is. It also spins freely and does not bind or make any weird noises... What should I do at this point, flush it out again and put it back togather? I've heard this method works because I know alot of people blow top ends and don't split the cases. :bang:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
1998RM250 said:
I know alot of people blow top ends and don't split the cases. :bang:

A lot of people do a lot of stupid things.

The cases need to be split and the main bearings inspected but more likely replaced. Same goes for the lower rod bearing.

It's apparent from the way you post out here, you'll keep posting this until someone tells you it's OK to do something dumb so I'll save us all the trouble if it will speed this process up.

Sure, just flush it out and run it. My cousin's friend's aunt's brother knows a guy who did this and it was fine.

There now, you got the answer you wanted. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom