CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
Saturday night I broke my tibia and fibia in a race. I think my rear wheel slipped a bit in a flat turn and my foor tapped and stick in the ground. The peg then hit the stopped foot and broke bith bones pretty bad.

I am in a full leg cast now. I have an option to get a rod and screws in it, but that requires surgery. Surgery does not bother me, but it does have its risks.

I am leaning toward getting the hardware to cut way down on my down time. I can't even drive right now. It is a real pain with a full cast.

I want to hear some true experiences with and without rods and pins.

I am 33 years old.

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
Dave,

Big Ouch. Don't know if this helps, but I sure hope so.

Two years ago this Holloween, I shattered the top of my left tibia. Pretty stupid accident really, foot hit ground, handle bar hit top of knee, and the the result was a tibia that looked like a well used wooden tent stake. A leg cast was not an option.

My surgeon, a good guy, Dr. Tai, spent four hours putting the pieces back together. The four hour procedure, utilzed a rod and 13 screws to re-assemble the bone. A second, surgery two months later, re-broke and straighten the bone along with another rod and seven screws. I didn't get a cast but did have to wear a brace. So much for gory details.

Rehab was, and is, the toughest part. Too much idle time causes atrophy and my left leg was idle for nearly 5 months. The scar is a real attention getter but, I don't notice the rod or screws. One time it set off the metal detector at the airport but that was a fluke.

It hasn't slowed me down very much (I wasn't that fast to begin with). I still ride almost every weekend and am considering getting another new bike next month.

Good luck on a speedy recovery.

Greg

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I have a rod running the length of my femur from a severe fracture a couple of years ago. It hasn't caused my any real grief, other than I feel the securing screws at the hip when lying on my side on a hard surface, kind of like having a marble in your pocket :D

It does bother me a little, mentally, to have the "hardware" in there, as it just doesn't seem natural, but in my case, it wasn't an option, unfortunately. I am working through a similar issue, whether to have it removed now (that it's fully healed) or just leave well enough alone, and not go through an other surgery (plus recovery time) again.

bizzow

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2000
Dave,

I don't know why you would be given the option to get screws or not. Screws are usually reserved for displaced or more severe fractures that would not otherwise heal properly because of other factors. So, they are essentially for aligment. Your bones will take, from what I understand, 6-8 weeks to mend no matter what you do. Some people return to activity faster than others but that can vary greatly depending on the person and their situation.
Personally, I'd go with the screws and the greater likelihood of proper alignment. Especially since we are talking about a load bearing structure in your body, that has to withstand forces that are not common to many sports other than ours.
Good luck. Hope your back out there with no problems no matter what you do.

Janaka

Oct 4, 2001
Hey CR DAVE,

I broke my right tibia and fibula about two years ago. Hit a tree wide open in fourth, it was pretty ugly. Anyway I ended up getting a cast put on. My orthopedic sergeon didn't give me a choice like yours did. I had the cast on for two months and than a brace on for about another three. The total time I was off my bike was about six months. I am 100% as far as strength goes in that leg now, better than new. I know this since last month I bailed off about fifteen feet in the air and landed on my feet on flat ground going about twenty or so. I thought that both my legs broke at first since they hurt like hell. I eded up braking my left calcaneous (heel) bone, yet another important weight bearing bone.I missed out yet again on needing pins. I am very greatfull for that since I like to heel the natural way if posible. My advice to you is to be patient and heel up right it your leg that you will use for the rest of your life.:confused:

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
I had the rod and 3 screws put in last Thursday. Now I have no cast and am getting through the peak pain period. I have never had so much pain. Drills, chisels, hammers, and hardware just do not seem to be sensitive tools.

Enough whining, I am on the road to recovery with the help of Oxycontin. What a pain killer? It lasts for 12 hours and works immediately. I try not to take them when I can. I have no plans on getting addicted to anything.

Thanks, Dave

jly51

Mar 5, 2001
Dave,Iknow how you feel,i broke both bones in my lower leg 2 weeks ago,spiral break of the tibia,my foot was at about a 45 degree angle with my knee.The surgeon was going to put in a rod but but its broken so close to the ankle there wes no room for screws to secure it.All he could do was put screws in it with a hard cast,it feels like it weighs 40 pounds and is always in the way.I have to use sleeping pills to get any sleep because of cramping from being in one position all the time.Dont try to rush your recovery time because i know 3 people that are disable becaue they didnt follow doctors orders,one is my brother -in-law,he winces every step from the pain so thats the last thing i want .Sure makes for some long days not being able to doanything for yourself.Take care of yourselfand we`ll get`em nert year:)

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
In 5 more days it will be a month from the surgery. I can stand without crutches, I walk like a primate. Mainly I use the cruthes. My ankle/foot is still pointed downward about 20 degress, but getting better. I plan on walking by the weekend.

If so, 1 month till walking. A lot better than a cast.

The doctor is very pleased with the progress and the healing.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom