Catching Neutral Alot!!

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I've noticed with my new KDX220R that I have to be very solid on my shift from 1st to 2nd or I catch neutral real easy. On my KX500 it is almost impossible to do this. Is this typical for a KDX220R?? Is there any way to reduce this?? I thought maybe a shorter shift lever so I don't have to move my foot so far. This is very irritating at times!!! :think:

Last edited:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I do this quite often, too. I'm just worried that if I don't stop, I'll hurt the tranny :eek: Or maybe a shift fork or something is already bent, and that's what my problem is?

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I do it all the time too! Seems worse as oil gets older in tranny. Call it a service reminder I suppose. Mobil 1 15-50 doesn't do it as bad when fresh but will soon after a few rides.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
My bike is missing the D so don't shoot me here. :o But at least it's green. :thumb:

I had the same problem earlier this year with my '01 KX250. I tried just about everything, different oils, moving the shifter around, different shifting habits and nothing helped. Well after much frustration, I posted for some help and found a modification that did the trick and has been great ever since.

The original thread with the mod is here.

Good Luck,
Scott

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
With synthetics, make sure it DOESN'T have the EC code; if it does, it probably will contain friction modifiers & cause clutch slippage. Mobil 1 15W50 does not have the EC code (the other weights do). I notice that in tight technical sections, I'll find neutral alot more often with gearbox oil that has over 200 miles. This has been somewhat repeatable with Mobil 1, Spectro, or Bel Ray. I'm not sure why, but fresh fluid really does make a difference. Remember that the next time you hunt for 1st or 2nd on the middle of a steep, single track, muddy, rock strewn hill; I hate when I miss that gear and crash infront of my buddies :yeehaw:

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by Jim Crenca
I notice that in tight technical sections, I'll find neutral alot more often with gearbox oil that has over 200 miles.

Are you serious?!?! I change my tranny oil after every ride, usuallly no more than 25 miles between changes. I just figure that it only takes about 80 cents worth of Castrol 10-30, and it's cheap insurance.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
25 Miles between changes??? Holy crap, that's a bit excessive! Do you change the oil in your car every 500 miles?

If I followed your routine, I'd be into changing my oil 5 times a weekend, and twice during the week!

I use Maxima MTL-XL Fluid, and I found that it dramatically makes the shifting more positive. Almost notchy. I went with the extra light fluid for the reason you described.. TOO many neutral shifts by accident. Can't say I have that problem anymore.

Jon!

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Jason,
I think you may be refering to my post? If so, it's the shift star. If you need additional info let me know. The one pictured here is from a YZ, but it's pretty much the same as our Kawis.

Attachments

• shift star.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 129
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…