1996 KDX200 clutch problem? Stuck in neutral

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
mudpack said:
Wouldn't hurt to change it after the first ride, too....................
Agree. If you don't split the cases like overly fussy me suggested, then one or even a few quick oil changes to flush the gearbox is a great idea. You will know when it is flushed as the oil coming out will look nice and clean (no foreign particles).

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
Hi all,

Firstly, wishing everyone a belated Christmas, and a happy new year.

Here's a lil update on my situation. I've replaced the basket, plates, springs, and yes... the correct gearbox oil!

Bolted everything together, but noticed my clutch action was very hard at the lever. Tried adjusting the cable at the lever and actuator ends, with no luck. So a new cable (oem) was ordered. Got the cable, now was about to re-drain the gearbox oil as I wanted to take another peek at the clutch internals. Stupid me went the wrong way with the drain plug bolt and sheared the head right off!

To make matters worse, I had an easyout prepared, was about to drill a pilot hole. My drilling somehow managed to work the broken bolt, threading into the case! Now it's disappeared in there, which now would seem to be a split-the-case job.

Maybe bikes ain't for me.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Hey Rob, don't beat yourself up over it. I am pretty sure we have all done something that made us go Noooooo.... and hold our head in our hands. You'll know bikes ain't for you when your senior citizen's card won't get you a discount at your local bike track. Until then everything else is just experience.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Bummer. Oh well, split the cases, new seals all around, new clutch basket, and the thing will be good to go for another decade or two.

(Or get somebody to do it for you... no shame in that. Mechanics kids get hungry also... :) )

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
Hey all,

A brief update, just to let you know I'm still about. Trying to get this KDX back in the dirt. Latest news? The engine has been taken out of the frame, and is currently at the mechanics for a good once-over. No word from him yet, so in the meantime I'm searching for a new set of swingarm and linkage bearings.

More to come.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Stick with it, it'll work out. It'll be good to get all new seals in there anyway, I'm sure your crank seal was about to go and oil up your stator and ruin it, so this was the cheaper option. :)

I'm always watching for a cheap set of left handed drill bits... they would be just the thing to have around for this kind of problem.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Rob84KDX200 said:
I had an easyout prepared, was about to drill a pilot hole. My drilling somehow managed to work the broken bolt, threading into the case!
Tip for the noobs: use a left-hand drill bit when drilling for an EZout. This will avoid problems like this one.....and sometimes it's all you need to remove the bolt.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
LOL, I'm a noob. I would have bet you'd find the left-hand drill bits next to the muffler bearings and power bands!
Thanks for the info!

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
Hey all,

Here's another update - the engine has returned from the mechanics. Magically, he managed to remove/easyout the oil drain plug. Without having to split the cases! :-)

Plus on top of that, he checked the clutch for correct installation and operation... and found one washer was missing. The washer that sits between the clutch basket base and the clutch hub. I had that washer (30mmODx20mmIDx2mmT) sitting at home. I passed it onto him to complete the job.

All up, about 2 hours labour, and at about a fifth of what I had expected to be paying.

Now all that's left to do is install a new set of swingarm and linkage bearings (all at hand), then the engine and other items.

Happy days. :-)

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Fantastic! Sockets and a bench vise (if you have a big one) work great to press various bearings out. One big socket for the "receiver side" and a small socket slightly below the outside diameter of the bearing for the "pusher side". And lots of heat with a propane torch (not enough to bake powdercoat, but enough to make things painful to hold).

It was all a lot easier then I expected.

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
The saga continues. Removed old swingarm bearings, installed fresh new ones without a drama.

Removed the linkage bearings from the linkage, but have now discovered that the shock hole in the linkage has ovalled out. Looks like I'll be needing a new/used linkage.

Pic to come later on.

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
Good news - the bike is back together! Linkage replaced, bearings replaced. Engine back in frame. All with little drama. The clutch is working fine now, and I've chosen to fill the gearbox with 800ml of Castrol MTX gear oil.

Now onto my other tiny lil saga - excessive smoke. I've started a new thread based on this issue.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=178856

Many thanks for all your help in this forum. Dunno what I'd do without you guys. :-)

Top Bottom