Caustic cylinder clean and epoxy port filler?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
I am due for a top end and was thinking of doing the old caustic soda/oven cleaner cylinder clean up job. i was wondering if these conditions will lift of the epoxy stuffing from my transfer ports or mess up the epoxy in any other way?

one last thing, can i get away with leaving the power valve in when i do the clean and give it a real good rince and blow out, or is it a complete strip down followed by cleaning and reassembly required?

BC

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I wouldn't expose the epoxy to any harsh chemicals. Unless I knew the exact compostion of the epoxy and the cleaning agent I wouldn't trust it. Could you use masking tape to block the epoxied ports to keep incidental contact to a minimum?

Also I would take it all apart to clean it. That way you can soak the powervalve in the caustic stuff and use a small disposable paint brush to take some excess cleaning agent and apply it directly to the stubborn spots of the exhaust port helping keep the exposure to a minimum. That way when you break out the hot soapy water and baby bottle brushes for the powervalve bores and the toilet brush for the piston bore you can be certain that it is clean. just be certain your brushes are soft nylon with no exposed sharp metal edges. You can be amazed at the neat little shop tools you can find at the housewares aisle of the grocery store.

Top Bottom