drriviera

Mar 13, 2003
Howdy folks, me again.

My bike is 95% done... now having problems starting the b***h...

I had previously replaced the CDI, the stator assembly and igntion coil. This was about a cuppla months ago in the earlier stages of this project. At that stage, I had wanted to establish it's running status before moving onto restoring the beast. And I did manage to start it. It sounded sweet.

Come late-December (perfect summer riding weather), it's all a distant memory... I'm still here trying to start the b***h! To date, I've cleaned the carb, new spark plug, compression test comes up within spec, fresh fuel mixed at 32:1. I am getting a spark. Initally it was average white spark, but after cleaning up the wiring, I've now got what I believe is a reasonable blue-ish spark.

So I've come to re-checking the stator coil, igntion coil, and CDI unit. Here are my results thus far...

STATOR COIL:
BLK to BLU -> 104 (factory spec) -> 117
BLK to W/R -> 38 (factory spec) -> 141
BLU to W/R -> 142 (factory spec) -> 26
BLK to YLW -> 0.54 (factory spec) -> 0.8

IGNITION COIL:
Primary (GRN to GND) -> 0.22 (factory spec) -> 0.6
Secondary (PLUG LEAD to GND) -> 7.2k (factory spec) -> 4.08k

Which brings me to a cuppla questions...

Obviously many of my results are 'out of whack'. But what can be said of the two middle results in the STATOR COIL table? Are they mis-prints from Clymer/Kawasaki manuals?

And secondly, how would one go about testing a CDI unit themselves with a multimeter? The table is not so clear in the Kawasaki owners/service manual (green softcover).

Many thanks in advance... hope you all had wonderful Christmas's.

Rob C.
aka DrRiviera...

MadArrow

Sep 8, 2003
The clymer numbers are switched. I get the same readings on my 85 kdx 200 and it runs great. I would say if you are getting a spark then ignition is not your problem. Unless the timing is incorrect. If I remember right there are some alignment marks on the stator for timing. How does the plug look afer you have been kicking for awhile? Is it wet?

drriviera

Mar 13, 2003
sorry for the delay in response... a few days in the sun at holiday home... 40+ degrees celcius. A bit too hot, but it sure bet working on my KDX... :-)

Anyway, back to the KDX... I am getting a spark. I'm getting an average spark, with a blue tinge to it. I'm sure it could be stronger, but surely what I'm getting now is enough to start the thing.

After several kicks, I did remove the spark plug. Yes, the plug is wet. Have checked the timing marks on the stator and the crankcase. They appear to be spot on. From memory, there were two bolts that mount the stator to the crankcase. One on the left for alignment/timing. And the other on the right. Is the mounting position crucial, timing-wise?

What other suggestions are there? Happy new year to you all. Your help so far has been invaulable. Let's hope that 2004 brings about more riding tales, rather than those nasty workshop blues.

drriviera

Mar 13, 2003
many thanks cicione for the link, may have read it before, but thanks anyhow. Nothing but a good thing to re-read others solutions/posts every now and then just to be sure.

I know that the left bolt is used to adjust/set the timing marks to position. But there is another bolt in the right of the stator with no markings nearby. Is the positioning of that 'right' bolt crucial? I would presume that the only purpose it serves is to securily mount the stator to the crankcase. Can any light be shed on this?

I will have pics up on my KDX200 web page before too long.

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~rcacic/kdx200

Thanks in advance one and all, for all your help.

Top Bottom