harry monza

Sep 28, 2002
Hi Guy's & Girl's
This is the first bike I have had with Single shock long travel suspension. (Hey Im' 40 and just got back into Dirt bikes)
Now for the question.
How do you know if the chain has the wright tension on it.
Should it lay on the chain slider on the swingarm or just above it.
The bike is a 91 with 12 front and 44 rear sprockets and I have no manual for it.
Any info would be great.
I looked at 2 bikes a honda xr250 1985 and the KDX 200, I sure maid the wright choice.
The KDX is amazing.

Harry 91 KDX
Australia

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Harry, I don't know about the 91, but as far as chain slack goes, I don't think it would be any different than my 2002 KDX200.

1. Put bike on it's kick stand. ( just as if you were parking it outside the pub).

2. Measure from top of swingarm to bottom of chain. This is done midway on the chain. On my bike midway is centered between the two bolts on the kickstand mounting bracket.

3. Chain slack should be 55-70mm. I would go halfway at 62mm unless you are in muddy conditions. If muddy, then go closer to 70mm. If your chain is stretching more lately, then I would go closer to 55mm if you are going on a long ride. If it is stretching more than usual lately then you probably need new chain and sprockets soon

Enjoy the bike! :thumb:

I took a long hiatus from trail bikes too, until last year. First bike in 17 yrs. I don't know why I waited so long to get back into trail riding!

Last edited:

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I have a simpler method.... I sit on the bike and just make sure that the chain has SOME slack. I have tried the PROPER method and always ends up being too tight while riding. I have never had any problems using this method. But... I'm sure people will disagree with me.....

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Rethnal, I agree but I would add that if the chain is old to rotate the back tire while feeling the chain tension to make sure there aren't any tight areas. If so, then adjust for some chain slack while sitting on the bike while the chain is at its tightest location on the sprockets.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom