chain and sprocket

larrk2300

Apr 25, 2002
i am doing winter pm service, top end, tires etc. i went with 12t front sprocket last year, to keep same ratio i was goint to go 13t front 51t rear. is their a recomended brand to use. i strickly ride for fun in woods. 2001 kdx220

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You're asking for 'recommendations' on sprockets I presume?

Renthal is good. Spendy.

PBI (a kinda local outfit) makes a decent T6 (aluminum) rear. Self cleaning. Something like 60% of the renthal.

redeni

~SPONSOR~
Feb 8, 2003
The advice I got on here is to go 13/50. I just got my sprockets from Fredette http://www.frpoffroad.com. They were to my door in like 2 days!
There's no reason to spend a lot and no reason to get aluminum - steel lasts longer. Mine are SunStar $16.95 front, $39.95 rear.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Recommendations are kinda like opinions, 'eh?

I wouldn't walk across the street to pick up a free sunstar sprocket, but that's only because I've used 'em to fantastically poor effect. Besides, they were ugly! (ha..there's a reason to buy/not buy a sprocket ;) )

There have been go 'rounds on the 12/47 vs: 13/50 choices on this forum for years.

Using a 12T CSS allows you to use a 108-link chain (std. length). It allows you to change back to the 13T CSS if you ride in different types of terrain as we do around here. Sometimes it's woods (close, technical), sometimes it's sand (wide open, speed!). You can make that sprocket change in a couple of minutes. A 12T CSS will not damage a 520 chain. The pitch is not too fast.

In the end, it's your choice.

And if it suits you, it tickles me!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I believe a 13/47 using a 110 links is standard on the 2001 KDX220.

There is no "go round" involved. You can use a 12, but the fact remains that ti WILL indeed accelerate the wear process as opposed to using a larger sprocket. That is engineering fact, not spouted anecdotal spew.

What do you mean by "The pitch is not too fast"? Give us the scoop.

Oh, and on sprocket choice... one man can run a soft, cheapo sprocket with much greater sucess than another, depending upon his maintenance practices.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
An '00 200 13/47 chain is 108 links. Maybe an '01 220 is different.

re: pitch and 'the scoop'

Obviously a bait what with chains, sprockets and such being one of your favorite issues. I'll bite, and I'm sure you'll disagree.

'Pitch' referring to the angle, not the 'size' of the chain. The very first number of the chain designation indicates the size of a link (called a pitch), in 1/8th of an inch. (You know that.) It is what I suspect you're ready to jump on me about when I say the 'pitch is not too fast'.

Instead, I'm referring to the definition of pitch in this case being the revolution about a lateral, perpendicular axis and how that relates to the distance traveled for a given angle.

The larger the chain size is, the less small pitch º it can attain, and the lesser the º, the greater the wear. With decreased pitch º comes increased speed of º change of course. That's part of the increased wear factor.

Obviously a 12T sprocket will wear faster than a 13T. How that figures in to 'spouted anecdotal spew' I'm not sure. ( I just wanted to repeat that phrase cuz it's pretty good!). It's such an obvious statement it didn't seem necessary.

I don't sit around thinking this stuff up. The whole idea of pitch (again, not size of chain) speed I'm referring to came from a chain/sprocket wholesaler and an independent (meaning not brand related) motorcycle parts dealer I've spoken with in the past.

re: '..one man can run a soft, cheapo sprocket with much greater sucess than another...'

Absolutely so. Hence, 'If it suits you it tickles me.'

I'm not out to convince anyone of any particular point of view, or even argue the merits of those different points of view.

Guess I'm here to just spout anecdotal spew! ;) Heck!!...I didn't even know 'spew' was a noun!! The things you learn on this forum....

re: go rounds

This thread.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…