Chain guide when using a 49t rear spkt

KRWilson

Apr 2, 2002
Hi Folks

As some of you know, I lurk here quite a bit. Now I have a question to which I cannot seem to find an answer. I have a 97 220R running a 49t rear sprocket. My master link clip has been worn to a razor's edge. I think my chain guide is to blame. Does the 49t sprocket have anything to do with this? Does anyone make a deeper/lower guide, maybe Fredette?

Thanks
KRW

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
I changed my stock rear sprocket (for a 49t)a while ago and the link was also worn to a razors edge, so unless the previous owner pulled a swap(my bike was only 6 months old), I doubt that the 49t sprocket is the culprit. I researched it at the time and was told the new sprocket would chew a new groove into the chain guide and there was nothing to worry about. Hope this helps...DVO

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
I have been lurking around here for a few weeks as well, reading and learning (hopefully!) I may be wrong but it may be that your current chain is an o-ring chain and the stock guide is set up for a non o-ring chain. The extra width of the chain is causing the clip to be worn against the chain guide. The chain guide may wear in to accomodate the o-ring chain or I believe that Fredette makes an aftermarket chain guide. Please correct me if I am wrong.

KRWilson

Apr 2, 2002
Thanks All

A little more detail. The stock chain was an O-ring. I recently put on a Tsubaki (sic) O-ring at the same time I put on the 49T sprocket. Is the Tsubaki chain wider for some reason? Does the amount of chain slack have anything to do with how the chain runs in the guide?

Thanks again!
KRW

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
fredette makes one that is sold direct from him or indirect through white brothers or moose (different packages, all have the frp logo on the guide) I have one that is from moose (had a fredette sticker on it) the way it is cut I think you could go as big as 52 maybe 53t ???

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom