goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
What is the best chain lube and what is the best way to lube the chain? I have been using Silcolene and it seems like it is just a dirt magnet. Thanks

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
I use maxima chain wax, put it on after you ride or when the chain is warm. It won't fling because its wax. And make sure your careful where you spray it because its hard to get off.(rims, swingarm, etc.) And also let it set up at least 10-15 min before riding again.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I have an o ring chain. After I wash the bike I saturate the chain with WD 40 to help remove water and prevent rust. An o ring chain is sealed and the lubing is already in the chain. WD won't attract a lot of dirt. Last chain I had I got over 1500 trail miles on it and only changed it because I couldn't find the masterlink, the clip wore off in the chain guide and I couldn't find the master link to replace it so I replaced the chain.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I second what Fred said. If you have an 0-ring chain then wash it after riding then wd-40 to help protect it and it doesn't attract dirt or mud. You should change the sprockets and chain at least once a season anyway.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Same here as several others. After washing, I spray on WD-40 to displace the water, then put newspaper under the chain, and spray on PJ-1 black label while spinning the rear wheel.

Curtb

May 24, 2002
Like the other 'old dudes' I run an O ring chain...the lube is on the inside and the outside can be allowed to rust (it really doesn't hurt much). The chain will last the longest this way. Here's why ....when you put gooie stuff all over the outside of the chain, grit sticks to it (creating a grinding compound) the grinding compound chews up your sprockets ...then the tooth pitch changes and the chain gets over stressed. A little wd40 is sufficient to keep the Orings soft and not attract the grit.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
The Honda lube has molly, leaves no oily residue to hold dirt, and my chain has about 1,000 miles and is still well within stretch specs.

Don't you guys think that at least a little lube sneaks its' way in toward the pins as the O-rings flex? If not, then lube on an o-ring chain for anything other than to dispuse moisture or prevent rust is unecessary (IMO).

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Jim, the Honda lube is a good choice....

No lube sneaks past the rings unless they have been violated. There are friction points on an O-ring chain that are NOT protected and lube is neccessary in all instances.
I know the WD-40 crowd will claim that they have great results by using exclusively WD-40, but it can damage o-rings which is a bad thing.
A little lube after a WD-40 spray is fine. It will wash away the solvent of the WD-40 and help fortify the rings.

Curtb....the growth you see is not from the sprocket teeth changing, it's the other way around. The chain growth is what makes the sprocket teeth change. Allowing the "outside to rust" works like this....the friction surfaces that are not protected wear fast becasue of the no lube, also the rings are easily violated becasue they come in contact with oxides (abrasives) and pretty soon they become violated letting more rust/moisture inside the pin/bushing area....that is when the growth begins and then trasfers this growth to the sprocket teeth.
There is not one situation with any chain made that allows for NO LUBE.

Wax is absolutely the worst thing one can use on an o-ring chain...or any chain in my opinion.

Anyone who says WD-40 keeps o-rings soft...I want some data...just where do you get that from? Something you've concluded on your own?

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I doubt wd-40 keeps the o-ring soft.

I use wd-40 ONLY to rinse and rust protect. Since I replace the chain/sprockets each season like we all should long term effects of wd-40 on the o-rings is not an issue.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Actually, chains and sprockets need to be changed out when they have worn past recommended spec., not every year.
If you use proper maintenance, your stuff will last longer.
WD-40 is not the most caustic solvent out there and it usually won't do much harm, agreed...it will dry rings out rather than make them soft...or what is reffered to as "swelling". Once a ring gets the least bit dry, small cracks can form in the rubber. From there it is downhill, as these cracks can actually catch dirt and the rings can wear. Also when a ring drys out it will look for fortification from somwhere...IE..the lube inside the pin/bushing area. Robbing the lube from there is a bad thing since it can't ever be replaced. The lube in WD-40 is NOT suffficient for lubrication of the friction surfaces of a roller chain, ring or no.
If a man is going to spend 3 bucks on a can of WD-40...why not just spend the same money on a cheapo spray lubricant? Any spray lubricant (thin bodied, not wax) will disperse water just fine...every bit as well as WD-40, but there is added benefit of at least a decent lubricant.

Top Bottom