Chain size?

hiphip

Sep 30, 2003
If I change out my back sprocket from the stock 47 to a 49 or 50, what chain size is correct? Should I o-ring or not? Any information would be appreciated.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Hip:

An option alot of folks run is dropping to a 12 on front and leaving the 47 on the rear. Swapping back to a 13 is a breeze if you want and you can run the same size chain. The 108 is great for this option.

You need to ask folks that are running 50's - but I am guessing you will need a 110.

sn

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I had to what Jason mentioned above - just several (8 maybe) small washers two widen out the bolting points for the chain guide. The o-ring that i had was pretty wide. I have seen a few chains that are narrower though - and I think there are a few brands that will run ok as is.
For those that think - I will bolt her up and let it wear through - DONT. The chain will wear before the guide will.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
i run 12/49 on a 108 chain...puts you at 1-2 on the snail adjuster. 110 chain ,same gears, is 8-9 on the snail.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
How do you like that 12/49 setup? I have been really happy with the 12/47 setup. I find that I rarely use 1st anymore - just when it gets REALLy ugly.

I was hoping the 12/49 might bring 3rd down to a more useable 17mph range on pretty tight trails - and reserve 2nd for when it gets tight. 1st would be for cliffs only.

sn

est142

Dec 30, 2003
i like my 12/49 setup...but obviously it is a matter of personal preference and riding terrain. i ride in southern NH. with the 12/47, when i came to the mandatory mud crossings on trails, i had to use more clutch than i really liked too. i found myself always stepping on the shifter looking for that imaginery extra low gear. with 12/49, you will get an awesome mud hole or super steep, 1st gear. you can start in 2nd for regular starts. 2nd becomes a good gear for slow speed, high height, dirt pile jumps. the time to run through the gears is much less than 12/47. you may like this you may not. standard woods trails are a comfortable third gear at about 15mph. you can still mx ride in the pits, but you will be in 4 or 5 for racing over the whoops. i ride mostly tight single track with rocks,hills and mud. if you ride the wide open spaces, this is not the gearing for you.

hiphip

Sep 30, 2003
Thanks for the feedback.....I kinda like the sound of the 12/49 setup.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…