Chainsaw Premix?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
A friend of mind was showing me logger catalog with 5 gal of premix for 48.95. Recomended 50:1 what you think? Got to admit the price ain't bad.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I've ran saw mix in some of my bikes with no problem. I mixed it 32:1 though. I'm not sure it'd do it in my "favorite" bikes, but in my old beaters it's never caused a problem.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You should see if the have a 35 gallon drum for an even better price. I mean it is all about how cheap it is right?

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
I've done it but, wouldn't do it all the time. might have a long tearm problem of gumming up a power valve. thats a curious question though.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Patman said:
You should see if the have a 35 gallon drum for an even better price. I mean it is all about how cheap it is right?

I prefer best value for your buck. Does premix have API cerification like engine oil? Is there way to tell if it measure's up to other oil's ? Lot's of things sold to manufactor's or companies is less expensive than the same product packaged to sell in a recreational enviroment.

Last edited:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I use Silkolene Comp 2 in our saws.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
mideastrider said:
I prefer best value for your buck.
Yeah I was quite aware of that when I saw KDX under your listed bikes :)

I see value for the buck as the quality per buck ratio and not quantity per buck ratio.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I've often wondered the same thing. Is premix like motor oil? Marketing driven pricing?

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Ive ran the cheap costal premix from pepboys with no problems. Im willing to bet this chain saw oil is the same as some other premixes that cost 10x as much.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Do a little investigation in to the various standardized lubrication testing methods, understanding them, and you might be rudly awakened that not all oil is the same. If it was everybody including F1 teams would run the cheap sludge that is generally a house brand product. Sure it might meet the MINIMUM of the standard and heck if having the minimum is good enough for you then by all means go that route just please don't try to pass the idea of every kind of canned soup comes from the same pot and just has a different label and associated price on it because it's just not the case.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
So 2 stroke premix is based solely on the cost? If the quality is high and the price is low. (I mean cheap) its no good? Yet at the same time there are post with pages and pages of engine oil saying the opposite is true. With all the 10 to 20 dollar a quart engine oil it seems that the consensus is that Shell Rotella does the job at a fraction of the cost.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Not all oil is the same some motorcycle specific oils are more expensive because they are packaged small and branded as such. Pre-mix is the same sometimes BUT...
I trust the wisdom of guys like Rich and Jaybird who actually read the labels and test them to determine the good from the bad. Every specific end purpose has different formulas or bases sometimes will create no problem to other applications. If I was in doubt and needed someting quick I would opt to put out the extra cash on the basis that specific product met my needs. As to Rotella yes I run that in every bike we own because that is what Rich recommended as a quality low cost alternative but on the few occasions where I have run out day before a race I hit the local shop and used the more expensive brand not just some oil I found at the gas station on the way to the race.

As much as I spend on our bikes I am not going to write off the oil to save a few pennies now to spend on the rebuild later.
Pat hit it right on a bargain equates to price to quality ratio and not price to quantity ratio- Otherwise we would be runnning 6 KDXs instead of 2 Yamaha 4 strokes and 1 suzuki 2 stroke ;)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
mideastrider said:
I save the oil I drain from my old car then strain it through a dirty sock, that's kdx premix. :)

:rotfl:...

me too

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
mideastrider said:
I save the oil I drain from my old car then strain it through a dirty sock, that's kdx premix. :)

I am sure Fredette feels the same way. :think:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…