mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Would it be alright to use a 10w-40 oil in replace to the bar and chain oil you buy at a normal hardware store? It seems to make sense that you could, but I was wondering if there are any special additives in the difference? I have alot of normal motor oil laying around and would like to save 5 bucks if possible.
Thanks again for your help! :cool:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
It'll work in a pinch, it'll just fling off faster because it's not near as thick as real bar oil. Good idea to check the resevoir level more often.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
as stated, bar oil is a LOT different than regular oil. It's sticky to keep it on the chain. Honestly, I don't think motor oil will work -- not because it'll run out quicker (probably not) but because it will fling off and not give the lubrication needed.

No matter the cost, if one values one's chainsaw, one should use bar oil exclusively.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I've done it in a pinch, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. As stated above, bar oil is much thicker and sticks better.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I've had to do it to remove a tree from my truck. I later spent $14 to replace the chain. Of course I also used my chainsaw to install my sprinkler system, so I would be the last person to ask about advise on proper chainsaw care!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom