Changed RT seal...still burning oil!!!

Marz

Apr 16, 2006
Ok...I am stuck here folks. I just finished changing the right main seal on my 97 rm 250. I did so because the bike was buring tranny oil. Now I have the bike back together, taken it for a ride and it appears that it's still burning oil!!! I am at a loss...the seal was installed correctly, there were no wear marks, scrapes on any sealing surfaces, does anyone have a idea as to what I should look at next.

Thanks

Marz

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
slop in the crank bearing??

Marz

Apr 16, 2006
There didn't seem to be any play in the bearing and I don't hear any sounds from the motor while it's running that may indicate sloppy bearings. Any other ideas?

skipn8r

Mar 10, 2004
Just a WAG here, but is it possible you're not burning the tranny oil? If the powervalve shafts are not well sealed, exhaust gases pass down around the shafts and into the right side tranny area. If enough gases enter, it may blow some tranny oil out the vent tube. I found my '01 engine was leaking really bad in this area, but I didn't ride it enough to find whether it was losing tranny oil. I removed/installed the drive shafts as per the manual (regular grease on upper, Moly 60 paste on lower) and the leaks completely stopped.

Extra info.

Marz

Apr 16, 2006
It's definately tranny oil, I have topped it up prior to a ride so that it drips out the check hole and after about an hour and a half or so of riding I am way down on tranny oil and my sliencer has quite a bit of "spooge" on it. I have been reading my manual and it indicates that if there is tranny oil loss it could be the right main seal (which as you know has been changed) or it could be a leaking crankcase mating seal. Is that the gasket between the two case halfs?? Could someone shed a little light on this for me.

Skipn8r.....would there be obvious oil spray on the bike if what you had suggested was occuring? If so I don't think that's it because my bike is very clean. I very much appreciate the input and I will still look in to what you have suggested.

Thanks in advance to those who reply

skipn8r

Mar 10, 2004
In my previous comments, I was assuming that the '97 RM has powervalve drive shafts like the CR. If not, my previous comments don't apply.

As for the mating seal, if it's like the CR, that could explain oil burning also.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
well then sadly you have a bad case seal (seal between case halves) and the oil is being pulled thru between the trans and crankcase. time for a COMPLETE tear down. :(

Marz

Apr 16, 2006
Well as much of a pain as that is at least it will be fixed. Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my questions.

Marz :ride:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom