cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
Hey, i know how to change the brake pads but when im trying to use the alan wrench to loosen the calipers so i can take the brake pads out, i just cant loosen it, its so tight, ive had my father try to loosen it also, so its not me just being 13. Is there something i need to loosen before i can take the calipers off and change the brake pads? Or is it so tight i have to buy like a macanical alan wrench or something? Help me!!!!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
cr85rb_rider said:
Hey, i know how to change the brake pads but when im trying to use the alan wrench to loosen the calipers so i can take the brake pads out, i just cant loosen it, its so tight, ive had my father try to loosen it also, so its not me just being 13. Is there something i need to loosen before i can take the calipers off and change the brake pads? Or is it so tight i have to buy like a macanical alan wrench or something? Help me!!!!

You could try putting a cheater bar on your allen wrench, but be careful not to let it slip, you could really jimmy up the bolts that way.

Sometimes I'll just clamp a pair of visegrips on the allen. Sometimes, just tap it with a hammer.. What ever it takes.

Don't give up, it'll come out. But remember, brakes get heat cycled, so the bolts tend to freeze up.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Putting a dab of anti-seize on them will help. Don't over tighten. Best fix is to switch out to hex head studs, not that they want become tight but you've got something to work with.

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
ok ive loosened it a tiny bit but i twisted the alan wrench, and am afraid ill completly mess it up, but it looks like im loosening it more than its twisting, so im going to go and try again.

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
ok ive taken that thing out and i can move the whole caliper around, so ive got it, but the brake pads and the aluminum trays that hold them are around this metal bar on the calipers, and i cant figure out how to take them off so i can put the new ones in, help!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
cr85rb_rider said:
ok ive taken that thing out and i can move the whole caliper around, so ive got it, but the brake pads and the aluminum trays that hold them are around this metal bar on the calipers, and i cant figure out how to take them off so i can put the new ones in, help!

Sometimes is just so much easier to take the whole caliper off of the bike.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
cr85rb_rider said:
yeh, well its connected by this rubber, do i just, pull until it comes off or what?

NOOOOO!!! Don't do that... Those are a bitch to get back in.

When you pull that pin, the pads should slide out the bottom..

The Caliper won't come off by removing the pin.

If they don't, then perhaps you should remove the two bolts holding the whole caliper to the fork...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom