Changing countershaft seal without splitting the case

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I was told that I could change my countershaft seal on my KX500 without splitting the case. To do this I guess that I would have to pry/pull the old seal out some how. I have a small body slide hammer with a wood screw end to pull dents that might work, but I am dubious. Has anybody here done this? And no there is almost no end movement on the shaft to worry about; I put a dial gauge on it to make sure.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
If you can pull the seal out of the case on that model without splitting the cases, that technique works very well. I usually screw in a couple of small wood screws and then pull the seal out with small pliers. I have had great success with this on numerous occassions.

BlazinBoy

Feb 13, 2004
You can pry the old countershaft seal out with a screwdriver. What you have to do first is of course take the counter-shaft sprocket off then pull the collar out with needle-nosed pliars. Then you can pry out the old seal. Now you hafta watch out for a thin o-ring behind that seal (that seals the collar) which you can very easily snag and rip if you put the screwdriver in too far. Here is Kaw's website of the part diagram. Good luck!
http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default....VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=1

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
While you're at it, It would be a good idea to change that o ring too. On my old Kaw, I changed the seal once and still had a leak. oring was bad. You just need a dental pic to grab it.

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
zoommx said:
While you're at it, It would be a good idea to change that o ring too. On my old Kaw, I changed the seal once and still had a leak. oring was bad. You just need a dental pic to grab it.

I ordered the seal and the o-ring today, I guess I read your mind. :thumb:

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
They make an actual seal puller tool which has two different hook type ends on it. I bought one years ago to replace a front main seal on my car. That little baby has saved me a lot of time over the years. all the auto parts stores should have one. It just pops em out super unbelievably easy. I use it every time I take my wheels off and lube the bearings.

Top Bottom