Changing jet needle clip position

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
I have the cap with the jet needle and throttle cable out of my carb. I want to change the clip position but looking at it I have no idea how to get to the clip to change it. Could someone please tell me how to get the the clip to change it. Do I need special tools?
Please be as detailed as possible.
Thanks

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I'm not sure how the carb on the KDX is. But you'll see a spring coming out of the top of the carb slide. Pull the spring out of the slide and compress it as tightly as possible. You'll probably see a small plastic ring at the end, leave it. While holding the spring, grab the throttle cable and if you look down you'll see a slit in the piece it goes into. Push the cable down and try to slide it out of the slit. Once you pull that out it's a breeze, get a socket that fits the head of the piece the cable came out of and take it out. Flip it upside down and the needle will fall out. I use needle nose pliers to get the clip off and on.

BTW, that plastic ring will have an "extension" (for lack of a better word) on one side of it. That fits into the slit so the throttle cable does not come out.

Hope this helps.

rvguy

May 31, 2002
At the top portion of the slide, you should see an 8mm hex. Use a 1/4 socket and small extension and pull the spring enough to get the socket in there. Then you should twist the slide counter clockwise and keep the spring, slide and cable part still. After you get the slide unscrewed, you will see the top of the needle. Push the needle up from the bottom and reposition your clip. Be careful not lose the clip, they can fly pretty far.
This is what I did to my pwk35 ('01-200). Hopefully the '95 is the same.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
The nut is actually a 6mm. I think both of the above expinations are about it. It's a piece of cake, and the easiest part of jetting. Well except the air screw...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
crkid said
BTW, that plastic ring will have an "extension" (for lack of a better word) on one side of it. That fits into the slit so the throttle cable does not come out.

I'm repeating it for emphasis. It's easy to miss proper placement of the tab on the white nylon retainer in the needle retainer nut slot. Make SURE the tab is placed in the slot!

CDave's site has a pic of a handy idea for changing clips. Use a pair of hemostats to hold the spring in a compressed state when you take the cable off the nut. That keeps the nylon retainer from getting lost, keeps the spring out of the dirt, makes it easier to install.

Not a requirement, certainly...but helpful. Depends on one's manual dexterity, maybe.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom