Changing my fork oil. What tools?

00kawa125

May 16, 2001
What tools do I need to change my fork oil? And, Can they be changed without special tools?

What about the seals? How can i avoid that expensive peice to drive the seals back in?

01 yz125
99 yz105

podia

Aug 31, 2000
Hi Kawa, you will need a pair of open end 17mm wrench, a 14mm allen, a cartidge holder OR a air impact wrench to help make the job easier.

First, remove the cap off from the damping rod(by 2nos. 17mm wrench)
Then, take out the spring, pour the oil.
Use a impact wrench to spin out the compression adjuster under the fork legs.

Thats all about it, clean all parts when it's out and assemble back the same way you strip it. Remember to use red loctite of the compression body.

As for replacing the seal without using expensive seal driver, get a same diameter size of pvc tube, split it into half and it works perfectly.

Hope this help.:)

00kawa125

May 16, 2001
Do you need to remove the base valve to change the oil? And how do I measure the oil in the forks without a special tool? And what do I clean the fork internals with?

01 yz125
99 yz105

podia

Aug 31, 2000
Hi Kawa, it is recommended to remove the base valve for cleaning if you can.

As for measurement of oil height, assemble back the cartidge collaspe the fork(without the spring and cap) , pour in the oil slowly and bleed it by stroking the damping rod up and down. You can just use a ruler to measure(from the top of the fork tube)

As for the cleaning medium, you can use contact cleaner on those shim and metal part(don't use it on rubber) Use compressed air to clear all those orifices on the valves.

Remember, the whole process try to be as clean as possible.
Hope this helps. :)

Nov 21, 1999
kawa, Get Eric Gorrs video on cartridge forks. Takes you through it every step. You don't want to use and impact wrench and if you ever want to take your forks apart again Iwouldn't use red locktite. just my opinion.

Top Bottom