adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Jetting, then I'd just save for a pipe. You could do all the cheaper mods like reeds, carb divider, torque ring, whatever, and they won't hold a candle to the difference a pipe makes on that bike.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
The only thing I noticed from my VForce3 reed cage was better throttle response. Worth $120? Who knows. The best "mod" I ever did was getting the handlebars up high enough for me, which was done by 1" risers, and then replaced with protapers.

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
i would not recommend a new reed cage, they are too much money and do very little. I would just get new reeds. Look on any site, thats sells these parts. Then pick the ones you want. I think the most i have seem them for a kdx is $55.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Gut the stock pipe-- is a cheap and dirty way to get the aftermarket pipe power. Instructions on here several places--search the archives. Cheers John

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
Gut the stock pipe. cut a window where the pipe is indented for the radiator hose, something like 5 x 5 or 6 x 6 in. get a vice grip pliers on the perforated metal and twist and tear it all out. also get rid of all the oily fiberglass. I don't know why they put oily fiberglass in there. I found some auktomotive touch up paint that matched perfectly. Well worth it. Beware, the metal is paper thin and you need a good welder to weld it back together. Me, I work as a welder.

Bob
kdx200

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
Best bang for the buck is fork springs if you are over 130# (XR400 springs can be gotten off of eb@y cheaply or Fredette) then jetting, then reeds (Boysen 607 Power Reeds) about $32. You cannot use the new found power without the bike handling it on the trail!

Then if you need more...a pipe is the ticket!

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
People have been removing washers from the shim stack in the forks with great results. It's seems to help the front suspension alot(I haven't tried it). It's a free mod and would probably help you go faster in the woods than any engine mod would.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Shim stack mod and stiffen the fork springs would get my vote. You might be able to stiffen the springs by cutting a few coils off and lenghtening the spacers to compensate for the reduced spring lenght. Don't shorten the springs too much or you could coil bind - you will need to make a few measurements, but its free and effective.

80elkster

Feb 4, 2005
Shim Stack Mod LINK

Here is a link to the Shim Stack Mod CLICK HERE I did the mod on my 93 with the USD forks and had awesome results. The only major difference with the USD forks besides the obvious is that they have less shims only 4 so I only removed one on each side. Well worth the time and effort. :cool:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom