Cheapest easiest front suspension upgrade/Mod?

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
Ok my bike mechanics are limmited, all of my mechanical knowladge is in automotive. My question is what can I do to improve my front suspension that would be cost effective and easy for me to do to my bike? I am 200 pounds so I am wondering if there is anything simple and cheap other than replacement?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Adding oil will dramatically improve bottoming resistance (you can use automatic transmission fluid). You can stiffen the springs by cutting a few coils off (measure the gaps to make sure you won't coil bind at full travel). Add pre-load with washers or a peice of PVC pipe.

Simple and cheap.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Stiffer fork springs, definitly. I added oil and used heavier oil, but it didn't help what I needed. My biggest problem was that the front end would compress very far under hard braking and only leave me with 2-3" of travel in harsh braking bumps. And in tight corners with all the weight on the front tire it would try and wash out very easily. Going to a 0.40 kg spring greatly reduced the problem.

Cutting and preloading will also work, but you need to do the math to find out how much to cut to get the proper spring rate. I'd rather buy new and have the ability to change back to stock if ever selling the bike.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Changing the fork oil and springs is the first step. A better setup is adding to that Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators.

The KDX's have have ridden with the emulators are noticeably superior to just a spring swap.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
rv6junkie said:
Changing the fork oil and springs is the first step. A better setup is adding to that Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators.

The KDX's have have ridden with the emulators are noticeably superior to just a spring swap.

Minor note, the Gold Valve Cartidge Emulators are for the older dampener rod forks (C and E series bikes) not for the newer H series KDX's. The H series KDX's are already Cartridge forks. They just use straight Gold Valves. Either way they are supposed to be a noticable upgrade.

-Maurice

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Opps, you are correct. I didn't look at Jason02R's model year...I just assumed that everyone rides old stuff like me:)

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
JasonWho said:
Lose 70 pounds. No mechanical ability involved. :-)

Seriously, if you have some automotive ability, then get a service manual and you can change them.

I am 6'3" so losing 70# will not work for me, lol

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Pull out the forks and shock and send them to FRP for revalve and springs per your riding style and weight. Perhaps not the cheapest but night & day difference in performance...spend the money its worth it...

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
You should chk this guy out " http://www.brucessuspension.com/html/setra.htm" I just got off the phone with him and he used to race kdx's. Hes found a pretty concrete way to make the forks have rebound and compressions settings. The left controls rebound and the right controls damping or something like that. He said it would run about $400 or $500 to do so I opted for the $110 spring change.

Later
Elf

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A major improvement to be had (and it's FREE) is to set your shock sag. If that is off, an out of balance (front to back) bike may well exacerbate any front-end insufficiencies you have now.

Springs will run you $70 or so. The oem springs (fork) are generally considered to be good for about a 130# payload.

bereal

Aug 31, 2004
Forks

I'm close to 200 and after blowing my front seals off a 10 ft drop off I had my forks redone by race tech. What a difference. the best money I ever spent on the bike. I went with Eibach 42 springs and race tech Gold valves. It was about $430 a couple of years ago. Have never had a front end problem since!

Eric

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
Playing with your dampening and fork oil weights is free (well, $5 for good fork oil... I don't recommend tranny oil simply because you don't know the weight should you decide you would like slower or faster dampening)

I don't think it will dial in your suspension to your weight very well all on it's own, but it might suit you good enough... depending on how you ride, what conditions you ride, how seriously you ride, and how much you like to tinker with your bike...

Either way, it is cheap to try, and you should know how to do those things anyways (to properly tune ANY suspension... even if you go with different springs and valves)...

Get a service manual... and check out this site, http://www.dishers.com/hobbies/Repairs/Index.htm for details (someone from these forums I believe, I forget who, but thanks to whoever it was)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom