2000FLSTF

May 20, 2003
What is the proper way to check the float level?

I went to check it last night because I can't get the bike to idle. I noticed the float needle or needle valve has a little spring loaded pin at the top which makes for a lot of free movement after the needle valve has seated, which in turn makes for various readings when trying to check the level. What is the purpose of this spring loaded pin any way?

Any way, the book says to tilt it until the needle valve just seats, but with this spring loaded pin, there seems to be additional movement in the floats after the initial seating.

By the way, I just got this bike (99 RM250) a few weeks ago and haven't messed around with 2 strokes in 15 to 20 years so I'm re-learning.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
You can put the carb on the bike with the float bowl off. hold the floats up and then turn on the fuel petcock. slowly lower the floats until gas starts to dribble out. the floats should be parallel to the carb rim where the float bowl should mate. If higher then you're running too rich. If lower then your're running too lean.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom