Chest Protectors and Collar Bone Coverage

flo

Feb 23, 2002
Try the AXO chest protectors, are made from one piece, no straps. I crashed once with another just before landing, my front went on the right side and i hit the ground with ~30 mph, direct with my shoulder (i didn't have time to take the hands of the handlebar) and than with the helmet. The impact was so big that the air holes from the arm protectors were printed on the skin. I was KO also, but the collar bone remains in one piece, the helmet does't hit it. When i tried to take my bike from the ground, a Suzuki landed with it's front wheel direct on my back (it was one of the fast guys) and bend the wheel. They tooked me out from the circut, i couldn't move but no back injury, only muscle pain. So don't tell me that chest protectors are only for ROOST

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I'd like to see the report that lists helmets as the leading cause of collarbone fractures. That does make sense, but I didn't realize it was such a high percentage. As for roost guards offering anything more than roost protection, that is a farse. They are designed to protect you from objects (rocks, sticks, tree limbs, etc.) when they strike your body, not when you strike the ground. Their design is to prevent contact injuries (bruises, cuts, etc.) You take apart a chest protector and then tell me how it's supposed to prevent fractures and dislocations. Don't go out there thinking it will. You'll give yourself a false sense of security. Bottom line is this is a brutal sport and there is no for sure way to prevent major injuries to the joints and bones from happening. My advice??? Keep the bike upright and stay on! :)

Oh, and I liked my Fox Airframe. I may just buy another.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Smit-Dog

Since it doesn't take much of a side impact, why don't more football and hockey players break theirs?

Thanks!

Bottom line... they condition for taking hits like that. They occassionally do get fractures and dislocations, but at the same time the opportunity to sustain those kinds of injuries does not happen as often as you might think. I've been playing full contact ice hockey for 10 years and I have experienced one minor shoulder dislocation. I'm a 5-5 125 chica... padding wouldn't have prevented it. :)

joey26

Apr 16, 2002
one time I went off a jump and landed on my shoulder and didn't have a chest protector on and I didnt even get a bruse or cut. Guess I was lucky.

ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
I can understand how a CP will help to a small degree with an impact similar to that of a football player. Football payers do not have a whole lot of side protection but they do not really need it as most impacts are frontal when a large degree of force is encountered. The Idea of the helmet breaking your collar bone without having a serious neck injury is ridiculous IMO. A neck roll will only help by limiting the range of motion of the neck. Have you ever noticed how even a proper fitting helmet fits a kid? It comes down closer to the neck! Hence the pading on Milsap's helmet. I can see no rational how anyone in there right (or left) mind would think a chest protector would offer much in the way of serious protection ( as they are currently desinged.)? They can be a great comfort against roost, rocks and getting jousted by tree's. Just think about it people. Truly, you should have known! :confused: ---Mike

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by ssuperbike
... Truly, you should have known! :confused: ---Mike

It's not that I expected the chest protector to prevent a collarbone break, it's that I am trying to determine what protective devices are out there that MAY help prevent them. Consider the gear we have available to us compared to 25 years ago. How protected/confident would you feel wearing an open face helmet with at most a little plastic Scott mouth guard? :scream: There is always room for improving what's available today. Think how many ACL tears Asterisk knee braces will help prevent, gear that was not commonly available even a few years. I'm looking for an Asterisk for collarbones. ;)

I would think that if a chest protector would come in closer around the neck to cover the area where the bottom edge of the helment hits, this would help. A foam neck roll would help even more.

The side impact causes of collarbone breaks is a tougher issue to solve. That's why I asked what football/hockey players wear. While football players have hugh frontal impacts, there are plenty of times where a running back is tackled by a 300lbs guy who crushes the running back down into the ground with more than enough side impact force to snap a collarbone.

If I ran full speed, jumped up in the air and landed on the side of my shoulder, it would be about the same force and speed that snapped my collarbone riding dirt bikes.

Do a search on this site and you realize how common this injury is.

ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
Truley I should have known! ;) Football shoulder pads just roll down over the shoulder a bit more. I agree this is a common injury. I have broken my collor bone and have the nasty lump and a dropped shoulder to prove it. I would think that you would not want to wear what you would need in order to prevent a collarbone injury. I am not even a big fan of the chest protector for woods riding but think they rock for moto. I hope you find some answers but a chest protector is not it. ----Mike

TooTall

Nov 6, 2000
Well.......after a lot of careful consideration, I ordered PCS Neck Support Systems for my son & me. I had the chance to try the EVS collar on Saturday, but I blew it & forgot. My friend's son was wearing one and as I recall, he complained about having a neckache. What's not clear is if the EVS collar caused his pain. I went with the PCS system because it just looks less restrictive to me. I can't wait to try it!

BTW, Phil at Progressive Motorcycle Safety was extremely helpful in choosing the correct size. Just a really nice guy!!

TT

Top Bottom