chest protectors, suspended shoulders or not

vwwww

Aug 21, 2001
I always thought that suspended shoulders was better for protection, almost all chest protector's have them. Fox's "top of the line" airframe just has foam, not suspended. Should I care? As I want the best protection possible because I crash way too much. Any thoughts or idea's would be appreiciated.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I believe in most cases suspended shoulders are better, yet for serious protection I think the Azonic body armor is right up there with non-suspended shoulders. It is a bit expensive but it has chest, shoulder, elbow, and full back protection with a built in kidney belt that you wear under your jersey. The only reason I don't have one is I'm not sure how bad it would be to wear in the hot weather here in Florida.

RazorbackDave

Oct 14, 2000
I favor the suspended shoulders. My Moose CP has saved me a couple of times, one get off was so harsh that the netting was ripped out of the pads! This additional force would have been absorbed by my left shoulder had the CP not been there to do it.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
suspended web shoulders would rub my shoulders raw. I went with the Fox airframe and not a single problem with it.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I have the No Fear Stratos CP. It doesn't hurt, fits nice...protects. But it is the most expensive one...

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
The web suspension is a good thing to allow air to circulate. As mentioned, the Moose has this feature, as well as the entire line of HRP CP's. I'm not sure about the other companies, but HRP does honor their warranty. I crash tested a 4 yr old HRP CP and ripped the webbing loose, and HRP fixed it no charge. (At least I think they fix it for everyone; my son is sponsored by HRP so maybe I got preferred treatment, but I don't think so.)

As to rubbing on your helmet... Depends on the geometry of your neck, whether your helmet comes down too far on your head, adjustment of CP, etc. Besides, you shouldn't be looking back unless you're waiting for slow guys to catch up.... Yeah, "waiting for slow guys", that's it. ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…