88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Hi Cicone, I see you live in the North Fla area. I'm relocating to Orlando area this spring with my 88KDX. Do you ever ride in the Ocala national forest?

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
never have. Used to drive through it on SR40 on trips home from UF. My current riding buddy, gatorkdx, just moved here from Gainesville and frequented that area. It's probably quite similar to what we have around Tallahassee, but likely flatter terrain and even sandier soil---we get the clay up this way. Let me know if you ever make a trip to the Apalachicola Nat. for.
We'll show you around----Ocala's only a 3 hour drive.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
If you're not used to whoops that are big and go on forever, you're in for a big surprise!!!! How's your sand riding? Probably not much of that up there. Just remember, when in doubt, gas it. That will make the transition much easier for you. I look forward to a riding report in the near future. ;)

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Not much sand here other then the beach (which I have ridden on) mostly rocks, mud, snow, ice. But I'm looking forward to whoops and sand, do you use a special back tire?

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
You'll want to pick up a good set of sand tires for Ocala. A compass or GPS wouldn't be a bad idea either. Be sure to check out different areas in the park. The well known areas (Big Scrubb and Lake Delancey) are heavily ridden and are whooped out with deep sand. Less frequently ridden areas still have some hard packed trails.

Check out Florida Trail RIders @ ftr.org.

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
I have a legend GPS, I've been to Big Scrub to check it out but didn't have my bike.
Thanks for the site. Do you still ride Ocala?

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
88KDX - I'm always looking for someone to ride Ocala with. I live close by but the guys I ride with don't. Give a shout when you get down here-hunting seasons over! Quite active H/S here (Sept. thru May), not so many enduros-do you race?

I'm from New England-biggest change for me was seeing all the fast guys sitting down so much. I still stand up more than most. The soft sand and whoops are a real challenge. I ain't got what it takes to blitz whoops thru trees.

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Thanks for the tire tip Cicone. I'm going to check into it.
FLBob I will definitly be looking for some riding buds for Ocala. That place is huge.
I can't wait to get out of here. It's supposed to snow AGAIN this weekend.
You riding Ocala this weekend??

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom