Circlips?

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I dont think i installed the circlips on my brothers yz80 in the 6 or 12 o clock position. I know the gap in the clip is not at the opening in the piston. How much should i worry about this? I figure worst comes to worst im pulling the cylinder off. Is it ok to rotate the clips to the 6 or 12 with out removing them from the piston? Like just pushing them w/ a screw driver? Do these clips move in their grooves while the engine is on?

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
I think risk vs. effort applies here. If 1 one of the circlips pops out, there will be significant repair bill. OTOH, it's not very difficult to remove the cylinder and address the problem.
Though you might be able to rotate the clips, I recommend removing them and reinstalling NEW circlips in the proper orientation. Risk vs. effort / cost this time ;-)

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I agree with Mr. Whoops. It's worth doing. However, you can very easily move the circlips while they are in their grooves. When I stall mine I pop them in wherever they want. Then I rotate them gently with a pair of fine needle nose pliers.

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
No need to even remove the cylinder. Just undo the bolts and lift till you see the clips and have a buddy rotate them with a set of pics.
good luck

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
The gasket has only been on the bike for a few days, do i have any chance of re using this gasket? If i applied some gasket sealer or something?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bodge said:
I dont think i installed the circlips on my brothers yz80 in the 6 or 12 o clock position. I know the gap in the clip is not at the opening in the piston. How much should i worry about this?

The clips don't have to be in the 6 or 12 position to function properly. As long as they are installed correctly they will tend to move during the course of their service life, so even if you start with them at 6/12 they won't be there for long anyway. Don't buy into the nonsense that they have to be in one specific place, there is exactly ZERO evidence to support that nonsense. If you put them in properly in the first place you are ready to ride. :thumb:

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Thnaks guies, if only Mr. Rohrich had said that earlier i wouldnt have pulled it apart and reassembeled it already lol.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You went to work without a response to your last question.
Haste makes waste. :)

Besides, look at the fun you had.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…