helio

Dec 19, 2001
I have read that should be good to clean the dust seals in a regular basis and lube them with silicon spray to increase long seals life and preventing bind symptoms.
As a matter of fact I have searched on this forum about this and I found a lot of different opinions, well now I am very confused...
I would like to hear some honest experience about this.

Thanks all.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
My experiance is that a clean seal is a happy seal. I clean mine 2 times a year. This might be different for you based on riding conditions. Ive also not used silicon spray or had any binding problems.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I dont like the idea of adding any type of oil to the dust seals as i find it only attracts problems.Dont point the jetwash at them and leave well alone.Unless you ride in mud where i think a good clean may be and idea every ride.The most important part is to not ride with dried on dirt on the fork legs.

Esp1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 2001
I have good results with giving the seals a bit of lubrication! In my opinion friction is a big enemy when it comes to suspension. Have you ever ridden a bike with no/little friction/seal-drag, you will never ride anything with more friction again.
I also find the seals to last longer when given proper lubrication. The fork also builds up less air when you keep the seals lubed. Especially when riding in very hot weather.
Here’s my advice based on my experiences:
*It’s better to leave the dust-seals alone. No use to pry them open and clean unless U have ridden under very muddy conditions.
*Always add a tiny bit of seal-grease on the crome/steel-tubes, just below the dustseal after U have washed the bike and wiped off the fork legs. The bike cleaner dries out the legs. Apply just a TINY bit. Too much will attract dirt.
-Make sure everything is clean/dry before applying.
- Use a quite “wet/fluid” grease. Too “thick” grease will dry on the legs and make things worse.
*Always bring a rag and wipe off the forks when taking a brake. Dirt and dust that has dried on the forks is the main reason why seals start leaking. You can never get the legs clean enough ;)

Do a test yourself next time you open your forks. Loosen the top nut and let the outer tube slide down. Usually it won’t slide down by it self (unless the seals a leaking or u have a good fork). Try to apply a bit of lubrication and feel the difference (sometimes u have to apply grease several times B4 it slides down by itself, because the seals are so dry).
:thumb:

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
Helio,

Cuidado para não danificar os retentores quando os deslocar para limpeza. Eu também li a mesma coisa, porém não consigo deslocar os guarda-pó... Minha suspensão não é invertida, então talvez seja esta a causa.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by RGalesi
Helio,

Cuidado para não danificar os retentores quando os deslocar para limpeza. Eu também li a mesma coisa, porém não consigo deslocar os guarda-pó... Minha suspensão não é invertida, então talvez seja esta a causa.

How did you come up with that theory?The seals will expand too much causing bind. R galesi you really need to counter act the molecules in the oil from over systrumenez.You have should of known. :think:

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by Honda26
are you for real bigred? or can you really read that.

Honda 26 I am just messing,My girlfirends sister still thinks I can speak korean. :silly:

helio

Dec 19, 2001
It is very nice read in Portuguese these posts.
Welcome aboard RGalesi.

Hi bigred455 speak Portuguese is very easy ;) . Can I help you ?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom