Cleaning/flushing bottom end

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Anyone have any ideas for cleaning out the bottom end of a 2smoker? I've got the engine off of the frame and the top end off waiting on parts. I would just like to flush it out really good without splitting the cases. I've heard of using kerosene when its been submerged but never actually done it. Any experience in this out there?

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I’m in the same position. What I did was use carb cleaner and my air compressor. I had the entire clutch assembly out and sprayed everything spotless, then blew it all dry at low pressure. Don’t use a compressor unless you have a moisture regulator, and don’t blow against the gaskets. I was flushing the motor looking for two micro bearings from the throw out bearing, (4 were still in the basket); I later screened the oil and found them. After cleaning, I sprayed everything down with fresh 10w40 oil.

Good luck,
Dave

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
what I have done by carelessly letting base gasket material fall into the cank area is clean what you see the best you can with rangs in a scooping out kind of motion spray wd 40 gently into the holes of the case over top of the main bearings while rotating crank carefull tunr the whole engine upside down heading towrds the front letting what you have already sprayed into it drain keep it upside down spraying and spinning the crank until you beleive its clean do not use anything like brake cleaner or anything that will ataack the rubber of your seals wd 40 is pushing it in itself when you believ its clean right it back up and dribble some two stroke oil down them holes while spinning the crank and make you sure when you fire it up that its outside and away from neighbors becaseu it is gonna smoke like anything for a bit

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Thanks for the tip 96, would you recommend Jet Dry. Might be harsh on the seals though. :confused:

Hmmm, one says carb cleaner, one says no carb cleaner......whatever shall I do?

Seriously, thanks for tips guys. I'll get after it this weekend.

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
I know everyone is sincere in this forum but carb. cleaner is very hard on seals. For over 25 years I have used gas and compressed air for this very job with no problems. Gas is dangeous so you can substitute varsol, Paint thinner or even charcoal lighter. Remember to lightly oil all the bearings before reassembly and all will be fine.

Your ridin' bud Kurt

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Read the can of the carb cleaner. Then you will decide not to use it. In a pinch I have filled a bottom end up with kero, circulated it a bit & tipped the bike over (real over) then did it again.

Also the other chap using brake cleaner; there was some confusion over bottom end meaning crankcase of engine vs gearbox.

Last edited:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I got some coolant in my crank case from when I took my cylinder off and I was told to flush it out with some gas and premix with the bike on its side. Does it really matter if there is a bit of collant in the case or will it just be blown out?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
well the only thing I can tell you for sure is that where the coolant is there will be no oil andif exheast gases mix with the water you have a great potential to make acid niether one I would recomend for your bearings

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…