levert

Jan 29, 2002
Just had my surgery and I have some time too kill.How do you guys clean out the inside of your exhaust pipe?Besides manually scraping what you can get at, how does one get the gunk out from deep inside the pipe?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Are you talking about the expansion chamber or the silencer? The expansion chamber you can clean with a screw driver and a blow torch. Just heat the inside of the pipe with the torch until it turns red then, scrape it out with the screw driver. Thick gloves are a must.

Here's a linky with pictures:
http://www.piperepair.com/carbon.htm

The pipe just needs to be disassembled and repacked and if the holes in the pipe itself are plugged then you can burn off the carbon the same way that you did with the expansion chamber.

-Maurice

Last edited:

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I put one in the fire pit and it smoked for hours. Carbon turned to ash and fell out. The bike ran much,much better afterward. I figured a fire was the same as a blow torch and it was less work.

levert

Jan 29, 2002
I've done the coat hanger bent to a hook on the end of the drill, I have not yet done the easy off.
Thanks for the suggestions, I have some time now to fiddle around, hope I'm riding by September.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
TWRT said:
I put one in the fire pit and it smoked for hours. Carbon turned to ash and fell out.

I have done this several times too. Just build a good hot camp fire and let the pipe roast for an hour or so. Let it cool and then tap it with a rubber hammer and all the ash will fall right out. Give it a fresh paint job and you're done. You will be amazed at how much better the bike will run if you have never cleaned your pipe.

Top Bottom