crazycarl7

Oct 14, 2007
I just bought an o5 yz250f. the bike is almost showroom condition. The only issue is that it has been sitting for a LONG time. it seems to be running lean. I drained all the gas, want to clean out the carb.

when cleaning the carb, can I use carb cleaner and spray it down in the carb. Can i just spray it up into the main jet or do i have to take the carb completely off? What does everyone recommend?

zaneyzrex

Jan 9, 2007
COMPLETELY OFF, COMPLETELY APART, get a gallon of berrymans B12 CHEMTOOL and soak all the brass parts/body/bowl of carb (remove EVERYTHING FIRST) then clean off with simple green and blow dry with compress air. make sure all your o-rings etc. are in good shape or just repalce all the seals. (thats what i recommend)
pay attention to how many turns your air screw was out and set it back to that when ya reassemble.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
it depnds on how long it was sitting.... i dont think you have to go and take every single screw out. get a can of carb cleaner and blow it through the jets. blow it throw all the passage ways in the carb. if that doesnt work then dissasemble the carb entirely. how dirty is the air filter?

crazycarl7

Oct 14, 2007
carb

the air filter isnt that dirty at all. this bike has been riden three times total. Its an 05! I drained the gas, changed the oil, installed a adjustable fuel screw, and flushed the radiator and filled with engine Ice. The bike is running 100% better now, but should I still clean the carb, or let it be?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
crazycarl7 said:
The bike is running 100% better now, but should I still clean the carb, or let it be?

If it has been sitting for a long time, it would be a good idea to remove the float bowl and clean the jets. Gas turns to lacquer after a while and will clog the smaller jets in your carb. Especially the pilot jet.

Remove the jets and clean them with a good carb cleaner until you can hold them up to a light and see through them.

Also, remove the little plate on the bottom of the float bowl and clean inside it. That is your accelerator pump and water and dirt can collect in there and cause the bike to bog or not take the throttle correctly.

If you don't already have one, it's a good idea to get a manual. It will explain how to do these things and provide pictures.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
Ol'89r said:
If it has been sitting for a long time, it would be a good idea to remove the float bowl and clean the jets. Gas turns to lacquer after a while and will clog the smaller jets in your carb. Especially the pilot jet.

Remove the jets and clean them with a good carb cleaner until you can hold them up to a light and see through them.

Also, remove the little plate on the bottom of the float bowl and clean inside it. That is your accelerator pump and water and dirt can collect in there and cause the bike to bog or not take the throttle correctly.

If you don't already have one, it's a good idea to get a manual. It will explain how to do these things and provide pictures.

i thought it was called varnish- when old gas gets like that?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
jason33 said:
i thought it was called varnish- when old gas gets like that?

Varnish, lacquer, goop. :whoa: Call it whatever you want.

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
I would certainly follow the advice given here! This is easy free maintanance and insurance.

It won't take long clean that carb! :cool:

Top Bottom