Clear Creek mud etches aluminum

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
Those of you that ride there often probably already no this but something in the mud at CC etches or stains aluminum. I rode there yesterday and was not able to clean my bike until 4:00 today . I had about 40lbs of mud stuck to my bike for about 24 hours and some aluminum parts are kind of stained. There is a blackish tarnish to my tripple clamps, parts of my swing arm, wheel spacers and my T-4 pipe. Is there any way to get this off? Is there some way to protect my bike before riding there next time?

Thanks Dan

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Ahhh, now we find out the truth...Jonala, what's the deal??? Is it that radioactive mud thingy? You didn't mention this before....hmmmm

(note to self: spray bike with kryptonite before CC ride on New Years..)

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
I just got an e mail from les and his bike has the same staining or discoloring. The chain looks like it's 10 years old ( new chain). I would be concerned if I were staying a couple of days at CC with no way of washing my bike after every ride. That mud is really hard to get off!

When I was picking my kids up at school today a buddy of mine (picking his kids up as well) and I were talking about my ride and he said that CC has some acidic material in it and should get my bike cleaned soon. Thank goodness for that BS session!

Dan

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by GETMETOCA
Ahhh, now we find out the truth...Jonala, what's the deal???

My exact words : "Background on Clear Creek, most of it should be a Superfund cleanup site."

Farmer John has better info on the place. The link that FJ supplied is excellent. http://www.salinasramblersmc.org/clearcreek.htm It explains much about why Aluminum may stain there.

The link also states the the area is a Superfund clean up site.

I think this is a way to get more riding areas. Three Mile Island MX and CC race park. Chernoybl Trials and SX park. The possibilities are endless. And the enviro's won't bother us. The goverment could get a two for. Make a toxic waste dump a money maker. Night racing without lights. Why? The ground is glowing. :scream:

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Jonala,

I love your idea about making all environmental disaster sites, offroad sites.

Seriously, I think offroaders need more respect.

The "Agreeable" Tortoise

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've had the mud from some local places do the same thing. I don't think there is a way to clean it up after the damage is done since it seems to have eaten away the surface of the material.

BTW, for those in this area, the mud at Turkey Creek (Edgefield, SC) does the same thing.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
The best solution I've found for that is to ride a rat bike. Just clean off the big chunks and you're good to go! All the dirt and etching leaves what I like to call a nice patina. :)

swingarm

Aug 15, 2002
oh yeah I almost forgot. Try using Simple Green and a sponge or brillo pad. It has always gotten my bikes nice and clean even if I leave mud on it for a few weeks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom