placelast

Apr 11, 2001
With my nighttime construction ceasing at 3pm Saturday Morning, I was looking forward to sneaking in an hour of sleep prior to heading up and meeting with the Clear Creeks Recovery team. However, whilst walking to my apartment a rise of frustration came upon me with the discovery of an unidentified parked car in front of my garage (my pickup is inside.) With 24 units, I’m not keen to going and knocking door-to-door at the moment, but set it aside to get some shuteye.

4:30am came fast with the alarm clock demanding my attention. A quick look revealed the car was still parked errantly. I figured to give it ‘til departure. And that’s what it took, being gone when I finally left for the day.

The 2 ½ drive up to Clear Creek was becoming familiar, yet this was one trip I could not affort to miss, with DRNers volunteering their riding time to assist in the bike recovery.

I promply arrived at Oak Flat, followed by Farmer John and then Fremont guy. D36 was next to last (you’re doing better, friend); I transferred my gear to his vehicle and we left to meet up with the latter two.

When we met up with FJ & FG, they felt it prudent to ride back and find Jonala and NVRFNSH. Upon their return, FG jumped into D36’s 4WD, and the tree of us drove to the trailhead, with FJ leading the way.

>2 hours later we geared up and joined our appropriate ferry-man and engaged the trail.

Jonala did a fine job of negotiating ruts, standing water pools, up and down hills, all with this author aboard. Only twice in the 5 miles did he ask me to dismount; those two were very steep sections. At times I narrated the remarkable trail sections; the errant spur, spot of head and search light awareness, etc.

We stopped just before the abandoned bikes to retrieve my stashed tools and parts; I had shed these earlier to lighten my hiking load.

We beheld the abandoned bikes, with layers caked-on mud, packed into every conceivable corner of the bikes. 30 minutes of poking was needed to free and lubricate the rear wheel. Then it was kick time; it started right up on the second try! Jonala observed the chunks of mud coming off due to vibration.

Once recomposed, we headed even further down the trail to seek D36. What a difference a day makes! Traction galore; lofting the front wheel came readily – a stark contrast to last Sunday.

On our way back out I paused at a trail split, wanting to assure Jonala took the correct one. When looking down one can see footprints from our trek that fateful night. It reminded me I am a different person today because of it; am not sure how – just know it’s due to that precarious experience.

Back at the trail head D36 and I reloaded and drove back to the staging sites an tow vehicles; the others rode their bikes. For some reason we arrived ahead of the others; lacking a writing instrument to say we were OK and were moving on. I attempted to leave NVRFNSH a note but he and Jonala pulled in as I was writing.

I had to leave hastily as my construction project was to resume at 8pm at night, meaning I’d miss the celebratory dinner.

Each milestone of the day brought a new wave of relief, be it my early-morning departure, Clear Creek arrival, team greetings, trailhead parking, arriving at the abandoned bikes, heading home, and last but not least: pulling into the garage unencumbered.

And now: abandoned property fully restored!

A deep thanks goes to Jonala, Farmer John, and NVRFNSH for lending a hand. You guys sacrificed a good riding day to assist.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Shoulda stayed in SoCal where it's safe. :silly: Good to hear that your escapade had a happy ending. :cool:

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
John

Sure was an awesome site coming around that corner and seeing those bikes wasn't it? Why did you guys go in by truck after the #6 stagging area? I thought your plans were to park at #6 and double up on bikes from there. Thats what I ended up doing because you guys felt it would be fastest and after looking at the map I agreed. My butt paid for it but it was pretty fast that way. Was Farmer John able to get you through the gates? Did you guys go up to our sleeping hill to see it in the daylight? I was shocked to see the hilly spot we slept in.
Dan

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
We ended up going R008 - R015(paved KCAC mine road) - R011. I had forgoten that during the Boar one of the TMC club members used this route to go retrieve the two Husabergs that started the event. While double up over Red rocks was probably quicker this worked out okay.
I have to admit it was kinda wierd turning that corner & looking at Les's 450, especialy since he was on the back of my bike. ;)

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
When I turned that corner on Fri. it looked like a KTM showroom. My bike was parked next to Les's and all you could see was the beautiful color ORANGE. I've gotta say - that is one of the most beautiful trails out there. I can't wait to go back sometime.
DP

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Definitely one for the archives. Great turnout, great folk, great write-up :)
Just a shame reports aren't usually this entertaining, with having to wait a week for the next installment (yeah, yeah, I know, I know, it wasn't much fun for you guys) but it's been fascinating watching (from afar) how things eventuated.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Whew! Glad to hear you all got your bikes back and everyone is okay! I am really awed by the goodness in the hearts of the DRN members who came to help. What a great bunch of folks!

Thanks for the great write-ups Placelast!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
There now, all better!

NOW will you come on some of my rides? Any ride I take you on has got to be easier than that if you don't have to spend the night out and get your bikes a week later. :laugh:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
The rescue effort was a piece of cake. One of those easy days of 'riding' that I enjoy because I get to take in the scenery and get a better lay of the land. My odo showed ~40 miles at the end of the day - mostly roads but some fun single track w/o any manzanita :think: - and it was good for me since I was pretty darn flustered after the Wild Boar enduro a few weeks ago.

D36-108A deserves an atta boy for taking his brand new - as in no plates yet - Toyota Tacoma back to the trailhead. I certainly wouln't have wanted to ride on the back of a bike from SA6 all the way to the dig site. Heck, I didn't want to have to ride that far with someone on the back of my bike - it's a lot harder than it looks. Anyway, D36 rode with me on my WR400 and wasn't too happy about it. I'm a big guy so there isn't much room left over for a passenger. I left my camelbak and fanny pack at the truck to give D36 as much room as possible. FJ/FG & Jonalan/placelast took off and left D36 & I at the truck while D36 finished getting his gear on - yeah, I know sweep is my usual lot in life. Anyhow, we follow the trail to the split where they took the wrong turn and spent the night. Of course nobody was waiting for us at the split so D36 and I are thinking which way did they go? D36 wasn't the greatest navigator since he had walked out at night in the rain and probably wasn't looking more than the next step ahead. We figured out which trail to follow when D36 saw the boot prints in the dried mud. I wouldn't exactly call them boot prints - more like skid marks that were made by boots :eek: Well we finally get to the bikes after making D36 walk down 2-3 hills, we were able to ride up everything thanks to great lugging ability of the WR.

All in all a great day with some great riding partners in my book. Next time I just hope it won't be a rescue mission.....

Brian

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I think the Clear Creek Death Ride should be an annual event like Moonrocks.

For the expert loop, we take you out to the creek in the valley of doom at dusk, drain all the gas but the float bowl, empty your Camelbaks onto your jerseys, and say, "See you up top."

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
NOW will you come on some of my rides? Any ride I take you on has got to be easier than that if you don't have to spend the night out and get your bikes a week later. :laugh:

No.

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Glad to hear all went well. Now it's safe to ask the question I've wanted to know all week, "how many of you guys bikes were insured?" I have my '02YZ250 fully covered, and it only costs me $160/yr.

Anyways, glad to hear all went well! :)

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
I doubt any of our bike were. One was a loner from a friend. Who do you have yours insured through? The big ? - does it cover theft?

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
No report would be complete without photos. dp400 took some great ride photos on our journey down into the darkness of Mordor.

Attachments

• chute.jpg
    chute.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 217
Top Bottom