Feb 25, 2001
I have seen Travis Pastrana sporting this stuff.. I thought it was for factory riders only but now some local guys are using this type of grip tape. They are putting it on there side # plates and air boxes. Does anyone know where to get this semi clear grip tape. I have been using the skate board black grip tape that is just tearing up gear and boots. any help would be great.

smprider0783

Oct 13, 2000
I just bought the stuff for my bike, itis made by factory effex and it is really hard to put on without bubbles. Ihavnt ridden with it yet so i dont know how it will hold up?? I know that dennis kirk, chaparral and parts unlimited cary it, it's like $19 for a big sheat of it.

NJ-DirtRdr

May 2, 2001
I ordered the clear grip "High grip" sheets from DK sometime last year. I put it on my bike on all leg contact areas. Before I put it on my frame, I painted it up real nice, then applied. That way, it keeps the Kawasaki green from just wearing off again. (Also put a small piece on the rear section of my shroud graphics for the same reason.) It gives me more control, and really helps to get back into riding positon if I get thrown into the back seat on a steep hill. Only complaint is it tears up your pants and killer on the knees if you don't ride with kneepads. (And it's expensive) I did my whole bike with one sheet, and I'd do it again (only with medium grip). One more thing--it has a tendency to hold dirt inside the grain--got to use a bristle brush and heavy hose to clean it.

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
HI,

The clear and grey grip tape is a 3m product that can be purchased at your local home improvement store. There is also a black version that is very abrasive, but grips real well.

Whoops

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
the grey is good stuff

I have it all over my bike and it does work good. Do not use the black or clear because its sandy and will tear up your pants.

3M

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
1.98 per Foot

Homedepot

this stuff come is 4 inch strips and seaming them is no problem.It sticks good to gas tanks, I had also put it oer my Carbon fiber frame guards and even the curved edges come ot perfect with out any pealing aws long as its a gentle curve. The air box was covered as well.

Next I am going to use the same stuff to make # plate backgrounds but I am a back back ground sticker on then cut out the #s in the grip tape. But this was an experiment and I was not sure at the time if it was going to beable to hold up to the abuse.

If you look close to the Yamaha leaned up against the tree you can get an Idea of what I did to it.

P.S. I am one that would not waste money of graphics

http://communities.msn.com/MotoXworld/yamamotoslabordaycroomtrip.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=228

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
One Industries has it in big sheets and is more "gritty" than some of the others. This stuffi is really thick and it lasts too!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I bought the "clear" 3M tape yesterday from the local hardware store ($1.50/ft and I bought 3 ft). It was super gritty, I was afraid it would tear my boots and pants up but that wasn't the case. I wear Tech 8's and all it did was smooth the leather calf part down on them, no noticeable wear on my pants either. But, most of it wore off after 3 hours at the track today. It helped a lot, mainly kept me "on" the bike, rather than slipping towards the rear under hard acceleration. But, like I said, most of it wore off. The stuff that TP uses looks more like a thick rubber or plastic sheet with BB sized nipples on it. They look like they would "flex" a little more, you know, give a little without tearing your gear up. Anyone seen or tried this stuff?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom