CLM=Career Limiting Move. This is a good one...

B

biglou

Sometimes I can be a brutally honest, flaming dumbass.

Aparently, telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth may not be the smartest thing to do in all situations. Here's the short version:

Been getting pulled from my regularly scheduled engineering duties lately about every other day to work production because one of the companies in our building is, quite simply, shorthanded (even though they saw fit to lay off one of their six production workers a few weeks back. So why not replace an $8/hour guy with an engineer?). So I had to go and tack on one of those "Oh, by the way..." things on an Email to my boss asking what the deal was with working all this production lately and explaining that this is not why I took the job in the engineering dept., and that I wanted to be challenged more on a much more regular basis (Those were pretty much my exact words, BTW).

That was yesterday. This morning I got a royal ass-chewing the likes of which I hadn't received since bootcamp. The funny about some people is, they can't be disagreeable without being disrespectful and using foul language. Not that I am above any of that, but let's just say that the tirade coming from my boss wasn't the most intelligent of conversations. I felt that I had a pretty valid point, not wanting to do grunt work 50% of the time. So I stood there and tried to squeeze in a coherent thought where I thought possible, but Mr. Cranky wasn't having any of it. So I let him yell until he was finished, get it off his chest while I tried desperateely not to chuckle and say, "You can't seriously be upset with me not wanting to do minimum wage labor, can you?" Funny thing was, after he was through yelling, he says, "OK, lets talk about these 'widgets' you've been testing." Funny how a guy with 'no credibility' (explained later) is suddenly important enough to discuss part of one of our products that has been suffering a high number of failures in the field.

So now I find myself in the situation of defending my job (via Email, for some reason my boss likes to Email everything even though we are about 50 ft. apart in the same building). According to him, I have zero credibility and will have a long road ahead to gain back even a little of that. I'm thinking, "Whatever, you wanker". He wants to know why I belong in his engineering group with such a poor attitude. In actuallity, he inherited that group when our former boss left to work for a competitor. As per company policy, rather than replace the old boss, they just hand his responsibilities to someone who is already employed within the company (The current boss is a Vice Pres in charge of new product development for all four of the companies owned by our mother company). More work, less people. Makes economic sense. :silly:

So, again, I find myself tasked with defending my position, and I'm not so sure that I want to. Don't get me wrong, I like my job, and I make some very critical decisions every single day that (hopefully) prevent the company from any liabilities due to failures of our products (I'm the test engineer, and I also approve all new materials, do materials testing and structure and give the final okee-dokee to all custom requests).

I saw my initial Email kinda like this: "What's up with working all this production? How about some more challenging and intelligent work for me to tackle?"

Apparently, bossman saw it like this: "I'm above working production and I don't like your little company. Furthermore, I hate coming to work everyday, I hate the people I work with, and I have a poor attitude towards my job and my coworkers."

In hindsite, I probably should have kept quiet. Nothing like whacking the hornet's nest with the short stick, eh? I suppose my keeping my job relies on my stating that I really don't mind doing scrub work. I tend to get a little philisophical on issues like this, however. In my mind, I'm thinking, "I definitely won't bitch about it if telling you the truth angers you so much that you feel you have to threaten me with my job, I guess, but you can never truly force me to like doing it." Again, probably best to keep quiet on that.

So my Email reply was something to the effect of "I apologize for making you so angry, I was just asking for more challenging and rewarding work asignments. I had no right to second-guess your utilization of my resource. I enjoy my work, I enjoy coming to work each day and I have a vast amount of product knowledge that I feel is an asset to the company's day-to-day operations." Or something like that. And for the record, I am one of those employees who virtually never misses work for any reason other than vacation. I think I've missed a total of three days in the almost four years that I've worked here.

Fallout should begin again fresh tomorrow. I told him that I had sent a reply to his Email but he was on his way to a meeting and hadn't read it yet. Tomorrow should prove interesting, to say the least.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by a moderator:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Whew, and here I was thinking that I was the only one who started speaking "Charlie Brown Adult Voice" when I spoke to my "superiors".

ME: " So(insert boss name here), worr wanma whamp wort weeermi mowf."
Boss: (reality translator on)"I don't understand how I got to be in the position that I hold. But to make my self feel important I'll stomp on any creative or well thought out plan I hear, so that when the inevitable fires pop up because of my piss poor managerial skills, I can have you squelch them and then point to my superiors and say, 'see what a good job I do?'":|

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Been there, done that! Not necessarily a bad thing but can definitely get the powers at hand get thier panties in a wad. Sounds like this "boss" would make a excellent government bureaucrat.

B

biglou

Crisis over. I'm still employed here. SOme notes about my boss that I neglected to mention in the first post (I was rambling). He's really a pretty good guy and is just as overworked as anyone, if not more. I've always said that I would hate to have that much responsibility to have to care about a job so much and to take that much of a load home with me.

Anywho, "water under the bridge" and we are moving forward from here. Now, for all I know, they are placing an ad for my replacement as we speak. *shrug* I'll get over it, or go around it, if they are.

Can you tell that I'm a fairly relaxed individual? :D

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
As with riding whoops and playing drums, timing is everything. Sometimes, it's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it. Your boss had apparently had a lot on his plate, and your innocent e-mail came across as confrontational, and he let go with both guns blazing. :scream:
Rather than a "What's with me working all this production stuff??" (next time) you could try a "I understand that my skills are valuable on the production floor. Do you anticipate that this will be a temporary assignment? I'd really like to continue with engineering tasks on project "XYZ", as that is where I can contribute the most to the company."

But, sounds like things have worked themselves out. Good luck, Lou!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Yanno my previous employer made me read Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People after an incident where I sent a scathing memo out to one of our subsidiary companies.

Sounds like Lori read the same book! ;)

B

biglou

Yeah, I've been around long enough to know that you just can't blurt out exactly what's on your mind. I must have had a brain fart. I also now realize that it's definitely difficult to put a "tone" to your voice in an Email. If we were standing next to each other, that's how I would have said it, with my usual inquisitive voice, and he would have said, "Well, we need the help. We're shorthanded." I guess that's the problem some folks have sometimes with posting on this board, too. That's what hanging out at the track is for. That's where you should basically rip on your job and coworkers, etc. I hate being diplomatic! I guess that's why I have friends, so I can be brutally honest with them!

"Man, you suck through the whoops!"
"Oh yeah, well, you can't do a double!"
"What? Well, you can't load your bike by yourself!"
"Hey, at least I can make a mean sammich!" :D

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Diplomacy is for weenies. And it's the one thing I hate most about my job! But when you work for and have to talk to the public, well . . . :silly:

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by XRpredator
Diplomacy is for weenies.
Actually I've found that you can acheive the same results without fear of violent retaliation (probably not a problem for you Pred) by carefully choosing your words and not sounding like an uneducated redneck towards the end of a three-day binge. This even works in the world of international diplomacy!

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Take it as a lesson learned....

FWIW - email can be a curse. It is very easy for your messages to get completely garbled or come across as being harsh or abbrasive when sent via email. I have since learned that a phone call or face-to-face visit followed up with an email account of the conversation works wonders.

Glad to hear you still have a job BTW!

-jeffd

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by WoodsRider
Yanno my previous employer made me read Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People after an incident where I sent a scathing memo out to one of our subsidiary companies.

Sounds like Lori read the same book! ;)

Nope. Learned it from the University of Hard Knocks. :think:

Hey guys, just think of it as a game, which it is. How well you do depends on how well you know the rules. You don't have to like 'em, but by god it sure does make things easier (and you don't piss people off as much! :eek: )

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
You also have to compete with all the boot lickers at work too.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
In hindsite, I probably should have kept quiet.... I suppose my keeping my job relies on my stating that I really don't mind doing scrub work.

So.... next time maybe your boss says "Hey, Lou, how 'bout you go scrub the toilets." And you say "Yes, sir, because you're the boss and I'm the employee and regardless of my job description if you tell me to do somehting I better do it. I know you could have had one of the grunts do it instead of me, but that's your business, not mine". That how it goes?

I've never learned that. My daddy sez "hey zio, how 'bout you scrub the toilets." And I say "What the heck? Why me? Why not Lucy over there? She's a woman. Besides, I'm wearing my fancy white patent leather shoes and I'd hate to get them all messed up. And another thing, I think I'm above that kind of thing. After all- I am Junior Assistant to the VP of the mail room."

B

biglou

Actually, your first paragraph does make sense. But, in the real world, bosses don't like to hear any crap from the workforce. Normally when I have to do assy work, I just keep reminding myself that I am making a considerable amount of money more than these guys who do it for a living are. That helps to ease the pain a bit.

BTW-In my house, if mama said scrub the toilet, by God you scrubbed the toilet. The alternative was to get your ass lit up, followed by the scrubbing of the toilet! So you see, it just makes sense to go ahead and do what mama says! :D

And dangit, I was all prcticed up on my lines for my next job:
"Would you like fries with that?"
"Would you care to try a combo meal today?"
"Would you care to super-size that today?" :p

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by BigLou

BTW-In my house, if mama said scrub the toilet, by God you scrubbed the toilet. The alternative was to get your ass lit up, followed by the scrubbing of the toilet! So you see, it just makes sense to go ahead and do what mama says! :D

So funny, that's how it was for my pop, and then he went soft on me. For them, tho it was backhand to the head. But the good thing is I'm actually not that disrespectful. To old people like you I'm all "Yes Sir, Yes Ma'am", etc. ;)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by BigLou
So my Email reply was something to the effect of "I apologize for making you so angry, I was just asking for more challenging and rewarding work asignments. I had no right to second-guess your utilization of my resource. I enjoy my work, I enjoy coming to work each day and I have a vast amount of product knowledge that I feel is an asset to the company's day-to-day operations." Or something like that.

You'd never catch me saying something like that. I'd have kept my mouth shut first unless I trusted the manager.

I don't see your desire for more challenges an issue. Any good manager would be happy to have someone who wants to work harder.

Ivan

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
ha! (me pointing at you lou) "i'm the wild man?..i'm the wild man!?" no lou, you are the wild man. dude....i think being melow, like you are, when you bark a bit it makes alot of wave. btw, big guys make people nervous, big guys with mean-ons(how ever limited) really make people nervous. i think you scared/intimidated your boss. ya big meenie. ;)

B

biglou

"mean-ons"? You mean a goatee? Or the moto-mullet? I can't really see myself intimidating anyone. Kinda like PapaK, just a big-ole softy!

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
mean-on, the infantry gave us that word, taken from a more rude phrase that deals with physical changes. mean-on , getting your back up, becoming angry, a focussed ,purposefull anger........

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
No doubt Lou! I don't know how I can be seen as intimidating.

:think: Hmmm maybe that's why I haven't been in a fight since third grade.

Top Bottom