clutch adjustment

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
I just adjusted my clutch play using the screw by the lever and also the screw at the bottom of the cable. (went by manual). everything seems fine but when the bike is not running it will not roll when it is in gear with the clutch pulled in. I've heard this is typical when the bike is cold, but I don't remember it being that way before. Any suggestions or is this normal? Also, how do you determine the right setting for the adjustment at the bottom of the cable?

B

biglou

I set the quick adjust at the top fairly loose, then use the lower to adjust it in as close as I can get, then fine tune using the quick adjust up top. Setting the quick adjust as loose as practical to begin with means not having to readjust the lower as often, or ever. Then, just ride and adjust up top as the clutch wears, heats up, cools down, etc. Hope that makes sense.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
makes sense. how about not rolling when in gear with lever pulled in, is this normal?

mach1

Oct 17, 2000
It's normal to a point. You may have to rock the bike back and forth a few times then roll it forward, especially when cold. If you followed the manual you should be fine.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
all is well in clutch land. just needed to be warmed up. had to piss off the neighbors by riding up and down the street.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
When you have your scoot running, oil gets between the clutch plates, helping to make them, "slip". When it's off, the oil drains away, thus clutch drag.
Keep a little play in the cable, (1/8 CABLE movement), to make sure the clutch rod is away from the pack, and make sure the clutch releases when the lever is off the grip.
It's not uncommon for a bike to not roll in gear off.
38 years of riding and wrenching bikes have taught me that.
Joe

Woodsracer200

Mar 17, 2004
KX clutch

NJ,that is normal,when the tranny oil is cold,the clutch plates dont slide as well. If normal op. temp. performance is ok you are fine,Bill.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…