dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
On a 2002 KDX is it possible to replace the clutch basket by removing only the small clutch cover? Boy, that would save some time.

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. I think the outer cover is just intended for repacing the frictions and steels inside the basket. I'm pretty sure you have to take the whole side cover off to remove the basket.

StrokesX2

Mar 2, 2005
Yes you can. You must remove the center nut on the KDX in order to remove the clutch plates and pressure plate. After that the basket just slide right out.

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
Basket Case

Ditto, I just installed a Hinson basket (courtesy of Freddette who has all the KDX baskets Hinson made) after grenading 2 stockers. It can only be done through the small side case and it's really simple.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
OldDirtKDX said:
Ditto, I just installed a Hinson basket (courtesy of Freddette who has all the KDX baskets Hinson made) after grenading 2 stockers. It can only be done through the small side case and it's really simple.

It is truly hard to believe that Hinson has stopped making the baskets. I just bought one from Fredette. The basket fits probably 10 years of KDX's and if you look at how many folks are in this forum, as compared to all of the others there are probably 10 times as many folks here. Hmmm, there may be a few KDX's out there!

I'm heading out to the garage to do this now simple chore. Thanks everyone! :laugh:

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
You can learn a lot on these forums. Like when you're wrong!

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Piece of cake. The basket was easily removed by just removing the small cover. One problem. Dang water in the oil. I've got to take the whole side cover off now! I've got another thread about my water pump woes in General Repair. :bang:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Don't miss the washer under the basket.

It gets lost a lot............so I've read on the sliced bread forum anyway. ;)

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Well since it was a holiday today, for some of us, we decided to go ahead and put the KDX back together and ride. We wanted to check to see if the headgasket helped any with some water and idle problems we're having. It did! The idle is perfect (it was bad when hot). However, I did leave the top hose loose a bit and we had a coolant leak. Before buttoning it back up I looked, smelt and even tried to taste the water in the oil. It had no taste at all. So I'm hoping it was water from the pressure washer. Another ride will tell the tale if we loose coolant again... besides a installer error loose hose. :bang:

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
By the way, the clutch action is awesome. Even when the bike is cold... well mid 50's and just cranked, the bike will go into gear without even a lurch! Nice!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom