Clutch disk set for CR250R

Apr 25, 2000
Hi,
I need a new clutch set, I tried some no OEM clutch plates before and it was always worse than the original, so can u tell me if anyone had a nice clutch with any aftermarket clutch set.
Anyone had tried the EBC Dirt Rider Set?
Thanks

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
I have logged many hours on the CR250. I have found the stock fibers (8) to be the best with seven of the stock steel plates to be the best setup.The original setup from 95 on is to use the same 8 stock fibers w/ 2 steels and 5 aluminum plates. Ditch the aluminum ones for the steel ones. Use stock springs also. I would really stay away from the Barnett plates but have not tried the EBC ones . The only aftermarket kit that I found to work close to the above all steel and fiber set up is the DP clutch kits . They are sold through White Brothers. www.whitebros.com
Hope this helps.

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
Whats wrong with Barnett plates???. I was thinking of ordering a barrnett clutch kit for my 96' CR 250 because the clutch went.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
CR125_King,
I don't recommend the Barnett set-up for a couple of reasons.
The finger portion(were the plates slide down into the basket) of the fiber plate is thinner and will cause accelerated wear on the clutch basket and the Kevlar in the fiber plates is not only bad for the bearings but Hinson recommends not to use them with there baskets because the Kevlar has been linked to the hard anodizing coming off of their baskets .I think the Kevlar makes their plates harder and this is why they have to use the 15% stiffer clutch springs to help them hook up. Hope this helps.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…