Clutch Freezing at High RPM's

fbenz

Jan 25, 2006
Just replaced the clutch return lever (after stupidly breaking it... won't even bother to explain - too stupid) and went for a ride today. At low RPM's everything is fine, but at higher RPM's the clutch is frozen and won't engage. Behavior is consistent. Can't figure out what's up. E

Everything was working fine prior to my breaking the original return lever and all I did was take the cover off and replace it (didn't touch anything else). I Plan to take the cover off tomorrow to take a look, but thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else has experienced anything similar.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
You need to be more specific on "freezing". If you mean slipping at high RPM somehow you have managed to block the lever from completing its full stroke.

fbenz

Jan 25, 2006
Sorry... should have stated the problem more clearly. What happens is that the clutch lever won't move at higher RPM's. Works fine at lower RPMs and then at higher RPM's the lever gets rock solid.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
That just sounds really bloody wierd... so what happens when you pull the clutch in, then rev it, release the clutch then pull it back in again?

I've never heard of a problem like that before, but I would strip and rebuild straight away, it might just be something vibrating itself in the way of your lever, or it might be something soon to be catastrophic, but whatever happens, rip it apart now!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Did you have the clutch itself apart? Something is incorrectly installed/missing. Is it a 1 bb before the acuating rod set up? The correct cable? Something strange for sure, if it works at slow speeds. The nut is properly torqued?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
agree with SR5, and was gonna say so yesterday, but didn't feel like getting into another pointless arguement with the new resident engineering genius. Have had the same thing happen, and that's the first thing I'd check.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
julien_d said:
agree with SR5, and was gonna say so yesterday, but didn't feel like getting into another pointless arguement with the new resident engineering genius. Have had the same thing happen, and that's the first thing I'd check.

Wow, you really are a ****. You are the one starting the arguments with your pi**y comments, not me. This whole post needn't exist, but thanks to you, its here.

Forgot to torque your clutch up also did you? Got the same problem? Who's the genius? RTFM.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
motopsycho87 said:
Originally Posted by julien_d

---------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, you really are a ****. You are the one starting the arguments with your pi**y comments, not me. This whole post needn't exist, but thanks to you, its here.

Forgot to torque your clutch up also did you? Got the same problem? Who's the genius? RTFM.

Get out the popcorn, boys. The entertainment's just about to begin! :laugh:

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
julien_d said:
Nah, not interested.

fbenz, did you check that clutch hub nut yet?

Good call... Helpful tip from the Internet way back machine:
41784_2253543784_4474_n.jpg

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
heated arguments are expected, mostly from folks with more money than brains, folks would not act this way if it where face to face and someday you may meet someone from the forums and become good friends. I will go out on a limb and vouch for Julien_d
because like me, he has a "best practice history" and though I have not riden with him I have met him and riden in his terrian (narly), but to throw something out there about Special Olympic like that is just sad.

On the other hand just because someone is new to a forum does not mean that they do not have experience, the trick for newbs is to ease into things, find out who the tards are and aviod them.

we all have KDX's so that means we are among the coolest folks in the world RIGHT!!
so lets keep our cool and learn to live with folks that come off cocky and hard, I have had my share of run ins with a certain member but it all comes around in the end.

I have been a bit out of the loop lately and when I come back and see this behavior it makes me sad, so if you can't add any helpfull info or want to talk out of your butt about stuff you have'nt a qlue on DON'T.

anyone want to rag on my spelling go ahead I deserve it!!!

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
sr5bidder said:
heated arguments are expected, mostly from folks with more money than brains, folks would not act this way if it where face to face and someday you may meet someone from the forums and become good friends. I will go out on a limb and vouch for Julien_d
because like me, he has a "best practice history" and though I have not riden with him I have met him and riden in his terrian (narly), but to throw something out there about Special Olympic like that is just sad.

On the other hand just because someone is new to a forum does not mean that they do not have experience, the trick for newbs is to ease into things, find out who the tards are and aviod them.

we all have KDX's so that means we are among the coolest folks in the world RIGHT!!
so lets keep our cool and learn to live with folks that come off cocky and hard, I have had my share of run ins with a certain member but it all comes around in the end.

I have been a bit out of the loop lately and when I come back and see this behavior it makes me sad, so if you can't add any helpfull info or want to talk out of your butt about stuff you have'nt a qlue on DON'T.

anyone want to rag on my spelling go ahead I deserve it!!!

I don't have a dog in this fight... I do not know the backstory, I have absolutely know opinion on who is right or wrong and I don't really care. My post was addressed to both people: arguing on the internet IS stupid... As for why I bothered posting: isnt the whole point of the Internet to post poorly formed but strongly held opinions on topics you don't understand?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
duncanstives said:
I don't have a dog in this fight... I do not know the backstory, I have absolutely know opinion on who is right or wrong and I don't really care. My post was addressed to both people: arguing on the internet IS stupid... As for why I bothered posting: isnt the whole point of the Internet to post poorly formed but strongly held opinions on topics you don't understand?

Quoting myself here
"so if you can't add any helpfull info or want to talk out of your butt about stuff you have'nt a qlue on DON'T."

with this I don't disregard newbs, but to bring the unfortunate folks that where born "wrong" into this world is distastefull, not that "I have a dog in that fight" or anything :ohmy:

BS'ers are kinda shunned and called out around this forum...not that you are a target or anything..please don't take this wrong...

PS. if you want to increase yours "posts" number tell a story about a ride, wreck, mistake and what not to increase the value of your input, I like a good wreck story..or post pics of rides, kdx's as I get older I like picture bokks more and more :) otherwize just read and learn and post "great info Dude!"

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
It's been a while since I have visited this forum and all I can say is @@#$%#. There are a few names here I still recognize and I am glad to see the "what pipe is better" argument has been resolved. This entertainment is far better. Nice shots across the bow and good counter punches. Keep it going, I love this stuff

Top Bottom