confusedtech

Jul 26, 2006
I have bought a new inner clutch hub and pressure plate(yamaha oem) for my sons 02 yz125. I was wanting to hard anodize them before installing them so they will last longer. Does anyone know what material they are made from? I thought they were cast aluminum but so far I haven't been able to get them to anodize.I sanded and lightly polished them before I left them in the anodizing tank for about 4 hours and they turned dark(almost black) but they still have zero ohms of resistance and wont take any dye. Any info would be helpful.
thanks Andrew

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I had that thought too

76GMC1500 said:
You should machine it down and bond a thin layer of a hard wearing steel on the surfaces.
Take 2 steel plates,take off the thickness of the plate off each hub, then it gets grey maybe countersink some fine thread screws,use trashed hubs.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Modern epoxy can do some pretty cool stuff, there is a large surface area for a good bond to be made, epoxy may be stronger than screws.

I've seen applications where thin pieces of Stellite were glued to the leading edge of reaction turbine blading to protect it from the impact of tiny water droplets at high speed. If epoxy works there, I don't see why it wouldn't work to stick a steel plate to an aluminum pressure plate. You should call up General Electric and see what they think.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Heat

When them plates turn blue and oil don't stick, but your fingers do, I would like to see any adhesive hold. Drastic idea was to rivet it, weld rivet, then grind it.

confusedtech

Jul 26, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I never thought of machining and adding 2 steels. I was trying to keep the friction plates from grooving the splines on the inner hub

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Inner hub

I don't think I've ever seen grooves on the inner pressure from the steels, they usually fit pretty tight! Fibers on the outer basket, thats another story. A couple of companys are selling baskets with replaceable steel clips where the tang of the fibers ride on. I got nothing for the splines on the inner hub from the steels except replacement.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom