TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Clutch Lever

I just lost the some use of my left hand. I had my hand smashed in a press break at work about a month ago. I lost the tip (second knuckle up) on my middle finger and they reatached the tips of the index and ring fingers I have full motion in my index, but the ring and pinky are at about half motion and very weak (right now) Through physical thearapy i hope to get back full motion every wear but it is posible that the pinky and ring fingers tendons will not heal fully. SO my question is what can I do so I can still ride and use the clutch one fingered because I HOPE that I will be able to hang on with the other three. Before I was used to using two fingers to clutch (index and middle) but now the middle will not reach the lever. by the way my thumb is NOT damaged. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated I do have friends that are welders and machinest. Thanks!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sorry to hear about the accident.

Look into the ARC levers. They have adjustable reach, maybe you'll still be able to get two on it?

http://www.arclevers.com/

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Clutch Lever

Clutch Lever
I just lost the some use of my left hand. I had my hand smashed in a press break at work about a month ago. I lost the tip (second knuckle up) on my middle finger and they reatached the tips of the index and ring fingers I have full motion in my index, but the ring and pinky are at about half motion and very weak (right now) Through physical thearapy i hope to get back full motion every wear but it is posible that the pinky and ring fingers tendons will not heal fully. SO my question is what can I do so I can still ride and use the clutch one fingered because I HOPE that I will be able to hang on with the other three. Before I was used to using two fingers to clutch (index and middle) but now the middle will not reach the lever. by the way my thumb is NOT damaged. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated I do have friends that are welders and machinest. Thanks!

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
You might want to look into getting a hydraulic clutch... That will probably ease clutch pull, though I can't confirm it, not having used one myself. If you are using a barnett clutch with the heavy duty springs, switch back to oem plates and springs. The barnett clutches are REALLY stiff. That I can confirm! I've also heard of mod-ing the clutch push rod, but can't give you any details on that, maby someone else can, and at last, I've heard nice comments on the hinson clutch basket and pressure plate. Might want to check these ideas out in more detail.

Sorry to hear about the accident

Eric

capt hookleg

May 30, 2001
I put a magura hydralic clutch on my yz 250 with stock clutch and springs, and it made it a one finger pull. I plan on adding an enduro engineering clutch lever, they claim it will reduce the clutch pull by another 30 %

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Sorry too hear about your accident..
Whichever clutch you decide too go with, i would reccomend moving your clutch perch in towards the center of the bars, helps w/leverage.. Worth a try..
Rick

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Yea those press breaks are powerfull. The ones we have where I work produce about 185,000 KN over a 10 foot area. These things bend 1/4" sheet metal like its paper. I can only imagine what that felt like. Very sorry to hear about that. Hope your therapy goes well.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Keep the Ideas coming!! I am running the stock plates and springs/basket (i had to replace them shortly after I bought the bike) the biggest deal is being able to reach the lever and pull it in all the way, I currently do not have complete full range of my index finger, meaning I cannot bend my fingers to touch my palm of my hand. Now I hope to get back more motion than that but I need some mod ideas for making the pull less range of motion for my fingers as well as a "easy pull" By the way has anyone used an EASY PULL by moose or some other brand??

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Help!!

I want as many people to see this so they can give input.....

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I've tried the EE lever that claims to reduce clutch pull: didn't notice a difference. Also had the Magura hydraulic clutch on my KTM: I liked it but it's not easier to pull than my well lubed YZ cable clutch cable. Also tried the MSR Raptor with 3 different settings: this was the best but it is a bit delicate and I broke them more quickly that normal levers (yes, I had good hand guards).

If you really want to solve the problem, go with an autoclutch (EFM, Revlok or Rekluse). I had an EFM on my KTM, and while I didn't prefer it over a manual clutch, it's still pretty cool.

Good luck in physical therapy.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
Sorry about you're accident. Hope you get the range back.

I have a birth defect, the ring, middle, and index finger on my left hand were webbed and severely stunted. They were seperated when I was like five and my whole life I worried that I wouldn't be able to ride a motorcycle. When I finally had enough cash to get one, I found that I made it work. My index and middle fingers do not bend except right at the first knuckle(it's really the only knuckles on my hand). About the only problem I have with it is that I can't do the one finger or two finger clutch thing, I gotta use all four. On some bikes like Harleys I have to literally take my whole hand off the grip to get enough leverage to pull it in. I've thought about some of the gizmos out there, and I think the one that Okie mentioned may be worth a try for me. I've been riding for about 8 years now and I am beginning to think that something like this would make me a ton faster, there's alot of times I think-man, if I could just give it a little slip right there........

I think the bottom line is this--when yu can ride again, see what you think you will need, ride for a while with nothing and you'll know for sure.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
sorry to hear about the accident

Instead of packing your clutch plates with the rounded edge in for smoother clutch engagement turn them around for easier pull. Smooth and polish that little lever/cam that pushes open the clutch pressure plate amd polish the inside basket will help things operate easier for a little bit. A couple free and easy ideas to try to help.
Trying to increase leverage while decreasing throw is going to be difficult might take you a few different lever/ perch combinations and lengthening the clutch arm to get the feel you want.
A hydraulic clutch does work easier, although a tad pricey, might have to keep the clutch baskets in perfect shape though to prevent dragging with the limited throw.

Hope you find a viable solution

spiro

Oct 22, 2003
Sorry to hear what happened.
I think a rekluse z-start auto clutch can help you out, no more worries about using your clutch again. The only thing you will have to do is hold on. I under stand that, Rekluse has helped out many people, that love to ride with some of the same injuries as you.

checkout: www.rekluse.com

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Don't know if you're still looking for replies on this, but I was just trawling through and noticed the question about the easy clutch. I have one, but its White Bros not Moose but I think they're the same. It really does make the pull easier, by moving a pin you can choose one of three leverage ratios and make the pull really light.  Of course the downside of this is that it just pulls the cable less. On my RM which has a grabby clutch anyway it means you must put the bike in neutral before starting because of drag if you have the easy clutch on a soft setting.  I hope this helps, I know what damaged hands are like, but unfortunately its my right hand which only has thumb and index fully operational . I wish there was an "easy brake" !

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I would go with the auto clutch from Rekluse, as they can be used in conjunction with the clutch lever. You have the luxury of an automatic, yet still have the ability to slip the lever a bit when you need it. Slipping just about any clutch is a one finger opp.

Top Bottom