Clutch not disengaging completely

Martini

Aug 29, 2002
I suspect the clutch plates have cut slots into the clutch basket fingers again.I previously filed the clutch basket but I suspect the plates have made new slots.Can the basket be repaired or does anyone have any ideas?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You can file them a couple of times.

Maybe it's time for a new basket..like a Hinson.

Keep in mind that a Hinson basket does not come with some of the stuff you need to put it in...it is not ready to go.

You can get a Hinson from RB-Designs that is ready to go...all the little rubber goodies in place.

If you clutch is slipping due to being improperly adjusted, the plates will eat the basket sooner than later.

Martini

Aug 29, 2002
Thanks for the info canycarvr.I am going to pull it apart this weekend and more than likely give the basket one last file, This I hope will give me a bit of time to search for another one.
I fear you are probably also correct regarding the adjustment and I have introduced a lot of the wear myself.
Thanks again from Down under.NZ

Martini

Aug 29, 2002
HI bcVulcan,It has got to the stage you cannot start it in gear and unless you give it a big rev it with stall if you stop.Time for a birthday I think.Thanks BM

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Martini said:
I am going to pull it apart this weekend and more than likely give the basket one last file

That should be ok, but, keep in mind when you are filing that the more you file, the bigger the gap between the plates and the basket. That larger gap translates to faster "notching" of the basket. Every time you stop the plates slam backwards, then slam forward when you accelerate. The farther they can move, the more speed they pick up. Also, try and file the fingers at the same angle as the plates ride on them. I've seen people file them flat, but not at the right angle, that creates less surface area for the plates to contact. Which, in turn, "notches" the basket faster. Just go slow, and try to get the angle right, and you'll be able to get a few more rides out of it! Good luck, YZ165

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Your service manual should have a maximum spec. It varies from bike to bike.

Top Bottom