jajason30

Oct 29, 2008
I need advice. Just bought a 95 wr250. Seller said he installed new clutch cable, new push rod and new clutch basket.

day i bought it, it worked fine. 3 rides later, clutch will not engage. I tried adjusting the cable, but nothing works. any ideas of what is wrong? i don't have money to pay for a mechanic, so i will learn how to do this myself.
does anyone have instructions on how to replace the clutch? diagrams, etc...

thanks for the help..

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Can you describe the circumstances around when it went from working to failing?

Were you riding and it started to slip, and then kept getting worse until you couldn't ride at all?

Or were you riding along and all of the sudden it was like you were in neutral?

Or was it fine when you quit on one day and wouldn't go the next?

Rod

jajason30

Oct 29, 2008
The first time i rode it it was fine. the second time, i had it started, put it in first, and it stalled.. i started again, and it went just fine, but i noticed it slipping when i rode it.. only about a 5 min ride.
then the 3rd time i wanted to take it out, it would not engage the clutch at all. it was ideling in neutral, i pulled the clutch in and put in first, and stall.. thats all it would do...tried adjusting the cable both ways, nothing worked.. so i'm guessing something is wrong inside.
i just drained the oil, it was brand new, no shavings or anything. i can see the clutch plates, but i have never taken one apart so i stopped there... don't know what to expect if i take out the 4-5 bolts..

thanks for your help

jajason30

Oct 29, 2008
The first time i rode it it was fine. the second time, i had it started, put it in first, and it stalled.. i started again, and it went just fine, but i noticed it slipping when i rode it.. only about a 5 min ride.
then the 3rd time i wanted to take it out, it would not engage the clutch at all. it was ideling in neutral, i pulled the clutch in and put in first, and stall.. thats all it would do...tried adjusting the cable both ways, nothing worked.. so i'm guessing something is wrong inside.
i just drained the oil, it was brand new, no shavings or anything. i can see the clutch plates, but i have never taken one apart so i stopped there... don't know what to expect if i take out the 4-5 bolts..

thanks for your help

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
im guessing that the basket has (grooves) wore into it. when this happens it will not let the plates slip properly,take the clutch apart and see if you could file the tabs smooth again,it will work for a while,but look for a new basket,or used 1 on eb@Y
if this is the problem
get a book- you can also use the micro fiche to look at the parts view,and take it apart,and re assemble, use a camera as well if you have one
there is nothing special about fixing a clutch

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
jajason30 said:
and it went just fine, but i noticed it slipping when i rode it.. only about a 5 min ride.

<snip>

it was ideling in neutral, i pulled the clutch in and put in first, and stall..

Your first statement sounds like the clutch is slipping, while the second statement sounds like the clutch won't disengage/release.

The only thing that I can think of that would cause both symptoms is that the clutch was overheated to the point that the clutch plates warped.

I recommend buying a manual and then doing a clutch rebuild.

Rod

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
jajason30 said:

thanks for your help
Those 5 bolts hold spring tension on the pressure plate. You can remove them without anything flying apart. Go a little at a time on each one to reduce the risk of warping the pressure plate. Once those are out you can remove the pressure plate. Under that should be a fiber plate followed by a metal plate, then another fiber and so on. If you have a piece of plate glass you can check the plates for warpage with feeler guages. Once you have the plates out inspect the outer basket and inner hub for notching. The method of actuation varies by design, some models use a rod with a ball bearing that pushes out on the pressure plate to release the clutch. I almost lost that on my brother-in-laws bike. My Suzuki had a flat roller bearing. Anywho, it's important that all the pieces are present. Look at an online parts diagram to see that it's all there. Also make sure the basket nut is tight and the lock is in place. You will come across the problem at some point during this process.

Top Bottom