Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2008
i have a 2009 kx450 and when im hard on the gas and start shifting through the gears the bike goes through the rev range but wont pick up speed. When im going slow and shifting through the gears it works fine. any idea what might be wrong? :bang:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You are describing a textbook clutch slipping problem. Time to open it up.

Apr 7, 2008
and do what to it? can i just adjust it or do i need to get a new clutch kit? i just had to replace both of the clutch covers and that was a pain in the butt so im dreading it now.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Step 1 - BUY THE SERVICE MANUAL
Step 2 - Read the section on clutch maintenance
Step 3 - Disassemble the clutch to measure and inspect the clutch for wear
Step 4 - Replace worn parts
Step 5 - Reassemble clutch with new parts
Step 6 - Live happily ever after

Apr 7, 2008
could this be caused by to much oil in the bike? cause i just looked at the oil level and it was above the glass piece

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It is caused by improper adjustment, slipping the clutch too much, or worn parts. No matter how ya' slice it there is no getting around the FACT you MUST pop the cover and check things out. If replacing the covers was a PITA perhaps you need to get friendly with the mechanic at the shop and crack out the wallet. They will LOVE you because that's a pretty simple job.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
What, 15 minutes to pull the cover and pressure plate?

I think most of the top pro teams replace the clutch between every moto.. They have what, 45 minutes to prep the bike? So 15 minutes for a clutch job should be more than enough time. At most 6 bolts on the pressure plate and no more than 8 on the cover..

If you have skills, you can do it without draining the trans oil. (That's for the advanced class though.. )

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
IndyMX said:
If you have skills, you can do it without draining the trans oil. (That's for the advanced class though.. )

what!! trans oil, who has time for trans oil, what is that..just one more PITA?? added to the list :bang: :)

Apr 7, 2008
i took it all apart but i still have no idea what i'm looking for. everything in it looks fine. The tops of some of the plates with the pads on them is blue but i'm pretty sure that came that way from the factory

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
sounds overheated and glazed over.

Apr 7, 2008
it might be cause my bikes been burning antifreeze. after a day at the track i have to add a little to my radiators

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
dirtbikerida63 said:
it might be cause my bikes been burning antifreeze. after a day at the track i have to add a little to my radiators

you better go back to this post

Rich Rohrich said:
Step 1 - BUY THE SERVICE MANUAL
Step 2 - Read the section on clutch maintenance
Step 3 - Disassemble the clutch to measure and inspect the clutch for wear
Step 4 - Replace worn parts
Step 5 - Reassemble clutch with new parts
Step 6 - Live happily ever after

as the plot thickens :whoa:

Apr 7, 2008
i dont have the money to buy a service manual because i dump every paycheck i get into new parts for the thing. does anyone know where i can download one?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dirtbikerida63 said:
i dont have the money to buy a service manual because i dump every paycheck i get into new parts for the thing.

... and this is where the ImbecileOmeter goes into the red and forces the thread to automatically shut down to prevent damage to what few remaining active brain cells exist in this place. :bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom