Clutch Problem

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
While inspecting the clutch basket and plates on my 94' 200, I noticed that one of the little tabs on the top is broken off. It's circled in blue in the picture. I was wondering if it will be fine to run it with the tab missing?

Thanks

Attachments

• clutch image.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 147

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
All of the tabs work together to hold the plates. One of them missing won't be that big a deal. The balance of the basket will change. Doubt you'll notice it.

I'd be much more concerned about the piece that came off...and what it did whilst floating around.

You would do well to look closely for other damage...cracks and such in the basket.

Maybe there is a hinson in your future......

Nice graphic! Pretty hard to miss your point!!

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
Thanks canyncarvr,

I couldn't see any damage, the piece looked perfect. Hope no more of these tabs come off.

Tamean

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Another concern is why did this one break. Are you the original owner? If not, we can hope that the previous owner broke it one time when he had it off the bike. But IF that piece is still in your cases, I'd be worried about it damaging other components. Is there something in the kickstarter, KIPS, or waterpump that can contact that tab? Maybe it was bent a little and hit something. (I think that tab hangs out and could only hit the side case itself. Most of the gearing etc. is closer to the centerline of the engine.) If you are not sure, I would take a really close look at the other tabs and the components in that side case. If you look closely, you can see cracks before they become failures and something fractures or seperates. Let me know more history of the bike. I'll sleep easier. A dealer mechanic may also have contributed to "lightening" your clutch hub.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…