sorny

May 26, 2004
I just got a YZ 250 this week, a 99 model. Bike has a new top end, Renthal Bars, some nice stuff on it. It is my very first bike and by very first I mean I haven't even rode a motorized 2 wheeler before ;) Would've learned to ride THEN got a bike but this was an ok deal at $1200. Fires right up on the first kick usually and idles great, choke works great, everything.

Problem I'm having is as soon as I kick it into 1st gear it leaps forward and because I'm not a good rider I'm holding the front brake tight at the same time and it dies. I understand the guy who I bought it from was pretty good, had a few trophies and plaques in his garage and he would just pop it in gear, give it gas and take off. With me being a beginner I'd rather let the clutch out slowly and get a feel for the release point like how i learned to drive a stick shift car.

I don't have any motorcycle friends, they're all into vehicles like I used to be so I have problems getting help with even the simplest stuff like what oil to put in the thing. The guy I bought it from did tell me I might want to replace the clutch cable and if that doesn't help file down the basket or something. At the time we were getting ready to load up the bike so I didn't think nothing much about it. Is either one of these hard to do - replacing the cable or filing the clutch basket? I've read a few threads on here about filing the basket and people just say to do it and not really how complicated it is. If it can be screwed up I can probably do it. I'm used to working on cars, so simple car things (changing oil, tranny fluid/filter, installing headers, etc) I can do.

Edit: Forgot to mention (if it helps) that when the bike is in gear and I pull the clutch in and roll it it WILL roll, but it'll roll and kinda grab and be hard to push then free up and roll another turn and grab again.

Last edited:

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
sounds like you may need a new clutch at some point. first, i'd change the trans oil and adjust the clutch lever. also, make sure the bike is warmed up good before you put it in gear...it should jump forward less when warmed up. the clutch lever is easy to adjust and replacing the cable is easy. filing the clutch plates is a different story. not sure about that.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
A manual would help alot.

I use automatic transmission fluid in my bikes. Some use various motor oils, some use gear saver type oil. Change it often to keep the clutch working its best. New clutch plates are always nice to have. The edges of the clutch basket will get 'notched' from the clutch plates. These notches will tend to keep the plates from freely moving in and out. They can be filed smooth, but do not remove too much material.

Adjust the clutch cable tension at the perch. I like most all the play removed from the cable.

If the clutch is adjusted properly, a new cable will not prevent the bike from 'jumping' when put in gear. It may only help with the clutch pull, making it easier to pull in.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The fingers on the clutch basket are probably notched. The tangs on the fiber plates wear grooves in the finger from constantly banging into them. The grooves keep the plates from sliding apart so they really never fully disengage.

If the grooves are no more than .030" deep you can attempt to file them smooth. The problem is that once you file them the tangs will be even more abusive on the fingers because there is more slop for them to move around. It's a good quick fix but the best to to get a new basket. Check the hub too since it can get grooved but not nearly as fast as the basket fingers.

There is an outfit that will take your basket and add steel to the finger to make them like new. The steel wears better too so it will last a lot longer. Or you can go with a Hinson, Weisco or other brand of after market basket. They treat the aluminum to it is more durable. They also let the oil flow into the clutch better for consistent clutch action.

If you do a search there is a lot more info on this but I think I covered most everything.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
If the bike sat for awhile the plates could be stuck together... change the oil. Find a good clear area to ride in. Warm it up.. when you get ready to place it into gear start in 2nd and go with it ( it'll lurch some) after a bit of shifting the plate should free up. If not put the cover and take a look.. after you get the manual that is.. ;)
l

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Buy a service manual and look at the clutch service section, it will explain alot and you can see the pictures and the whole basket thing will make more sence when you see it. Its not hard to do. Baskets are cheap enought for stock or aftermarket. You really should pull the basket before fileing it to keep the fileings from getting in the case anyway.
I agree, a new cable will only help if the adjustment screw on the lever is maxed out, then its usally a worn clutch more than a streached cable unless the cable is hard to pull. If you replace the cable, make sure you take note of the correct routing of the cable before you remove the old one. If there is room to run the new one before removing the old one, do that.

sorny

May 26, 2004
Thanks for the replies guys. I pull the cover off and to my surprise the basket wasn't notched at ALL. It looked like new really. I thought I was looking at the wrong thing (even though I looked at pics to see what a notched basket should look like) so I had my buddy (who rides) look at it and make sure i was looking at the right thing. He said that it really isn't notched. So I let the bike warm up some more and the problem is now like 90% gone. Now I can put it into 1st and the bike doesn't stall. But what's funny now is that when I come to a stop in any gear with the clutch all the way in (released, I mean) the bike stalls. Wierd, that may be some minor clutch adjustment because I screwed with the adjuster so much I probably have it completley out of whack.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
So now that you've got that all figured out, when's the 1st race? :aj:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
did you make sure there wasn't a broken fiber plate? I've seen that a few times and it can do strange things. If bad enough, it could wedge in there and cause drag. This is a long shot but hasn't yet been mentioned.

Warped plates also cause drag.

Adjust the cable so that there's just a bit of slop in the lever before the cable is pulled. Note that on some bikes, this varies depending on the temp of the clutch. In other words, there is more play when the clutch warms up.

sorny

May 26, 2004
Jeff Gilbert said:
So now that you've got that all figured out, when's the 1st race? :aj:

LOL

I gotta get a little better a riding first I think... staying in 1st gear and riding around the yard isn't good prep for a race ;)

:ride:

And Motometal, my fiance's cousin mentioned that too. I'm hoping its not that serious, but since two people has mentioned it, its definately a possibility if I can't adjust the drag out.

Top Bottom