Clutch basket has some groves in it.

skos

Jan 24, 2009
Clutch basket has some groves in it.

I have a 98 YZ125. Had to replace the kick gear and noticed my basket has groves. I know I should replace but I don’t want to spend the money. Clutch plates look fine.

I am just looking for some input from anyone who have filed the clutch basket and how much luck they had with it.

I know the correct thing to do is replace it along with Clutch spring, Pressure plate, Push rod, washer, Bearing, Friction plates and Clutch plates. But then we are talking 300 bucks or more. I just want to get it back up and running for the least amount. Funds are low for me right now.

I have groves but not on all the fingers. Question, so taking off a mm will not greatly effect its performance. I know I should replace and most likly I will. But if I can get by for the next couple of rides by filing, I will try.

If you file some but not all will it still work?

Anyone had any luck

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
is your clutch sticking or hanging up?

When you pull the lever does the clutch release like normal?

Unless it's showing signs of hanging up, don't worry about it. Just save up the pennies and get a new basket.

If you need to file, go ahead. You won't be the first or last guy to file a clutch basket. It works, for a while. But it's going to wear just that much faster after you file on it, so start saving now.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Depending on how much you're riding, filing it can be a nice fix for quite awhile.

I don't get to ride that much - mid April to late October - average probably 2 hours of actual seat time a week.

Still, until my brother seized it, the RM125 I had made it without further clutch basket issues for probably 20-25 hours of seat time after filing. Dunno how much longer it would go without replacing, but no signs of any significant problems when it seized due to bad gas/premix.

If I understand the situation, the basket wears faster after filing because there is more room for the plates to move around - thus, they "hit" the basket with more force the more room they have to move.

Thus, you probably wouldn't notice a mm off at all. I didn't - other than the fact that the clutch stopped catching/grabbing.

Top Bottom