Jan 6, 2007
I have a 2001 YZ250F and the bike runs great. Latley i have noticed that the clutch is hard to pull and is pretty much all or nothing. It has no play in the clutch. I didn't know what part of the clutch to look at. I think or hope it is just a cable but im not good when it comes to clutches.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It might just be the cable is bound up or kinked. Clean it real good and lube it if you want. Just make sure you disconnect it from inside the left side case or you'll end up depositing a bunch of crap in there. Also check the routing to make sure it sin't catching on something.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
He says he has the F which is all external on the clutch routing. YOu can try lubing the cable, but being an 01 you might just save the time and get a new cable.

Other problem is most likely the stock basket is notched and you may need a new clutch and springs. Very simple to replace with just a 8 and 10mm T handle.

Jan 6, 2007
One more question...If it is not the cable should i try and replace clutch basket along with new clutch and springs or could i get by without doing that? Its an 01 so i dont want to spend too much money.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
I would replace the cable. Keep the old one for a spare if you ever need it.

If that does not help, then double check the routing and the free play on the cable. Otherwise it is a guessing game until you open up the motor. LIke I said, very simple with a 8 and 10mm T handle.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It's really a simple matter of taking off your clutch cover the next time you change the oil.

You will be able to see right away if there is a notching problem in your basket, no guess work.

If it's notched, replace it. Otherwise, it's just going to get worse, and soon you won't be able to shift into gear when stopped.

I put a Hinson basket in my CRF a few months ago, I'm freakin thrilled with it.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
IndyMX said:
It's really a simple matter of taking off your clutch cover the next time you change the oil.

You will be able to see right away if there is a notching problem in your basket, no guess work.

If it's notched, replace it. Otherwise, it's just going to get worse, and soon you won't be able to shift into gear when stopped.

I put a Hinson basket in my CRF a few months ago, I'm freakin thrilled with it.

yeah it really is that easy with the YZF. Just remove the clutch cover. And you can remove the clutch basket that way also on the YZF. (no so on the CRFs. )

I have always run a Hinson basket in all my bikes. Never had any clutch problems or fade with them. They do require more skills to install since you have to swap over the ring gear. But after 2 years, you could clean off the oil from the basket and put it back on the showroom shelf and sell it for new. There is NO wear on it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Matt90GT said:
yeah it really is that easy with the YZF. Just remove the clutch cover. And you can remove the clutch basket that way also on the YZF. (no so on the CRFs. )

I have always run a Hinson basket in all my bikes. Never had any clutch problems or fade with them. They do require more skills to install since you have to swap over the ring gear. But after 2 years, you could clean off the oil from the basket and put it back on the showroom shelf and sell it for new. There is NO wear on it.

Hehe... I got mine from the "Auction Site" from a guy who was parting out a CRF450. Non of that gear swapping needed!!

Top Bottom