Oct 8, 2010
I picked up a spotless 95 cr250, the original owner thought the transmission was locked down, I pulled the right cover off and removed the basket and found the shift arm was off the little nub I shall call it, I placed the shift arm back on and the transmission is fine, while I was tearing it apart, I found a clutch friction disk that's was broken in three spots so it came out in 3 pieces. I ordered a new clutch, and all the gaskets/ seals and now its all installed and the clutch rodent feel like its doing anything. I squeeze the lever and it moves the clutches less than a tenth of an inch. I hoped on MotoSport and looked at a diagram, I pulled it all apart again and located each piece and. Made sure each one was in its. Correct place. With doing so the clutch STILL feels like its not doing anything. Any ideas? If I pull the cable while I squeeze the lever. It moves a good amount as how I would feel is perfect.... I'm. In a train of thought that when u replace a clutch, u adjust it in and adjust out as it wears. Any ideas? Or am I thinking backwards?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
How do the clutch baskets 'tangs or fingers' look? Are they smooth where the friction plates tabs come in contact of deeply notched? When pulling in the lever do the plates slide smoothly within the basket?... does the hub look smooth or notched by the metal drive plates?

Oct 8, 2010
New basket, hub, pressure place, bearings, washers, everything moves smoothly but its just like the clutch dosent want to move. The clutch cable is adjusted in fully and when the lever is released the cable slides and the cover or what ever it is that's around the cable comes out of the lever adjustment screw. Should I adjust the cable out to tighten it up?

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
Sounds like the clutch push rod is too short. Maybe it has been compressed over the years. Or the new clutch plates are thicker making the push rod 'pressing' point further away.

Is there an adjuster on the clutch basket cover that can take out the slack?

A new push rod may also be slightly longer.

good luck
Dave

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
often times there is a little ball that sets between the pushrod and pressure plate that gets lost. sometimes there is a torrington bearing between the pushrod end and plate. make sure your bike recquires one and make sure it is there while also making sure all thrust washers for the clutch are in the right spots.

Oct 8, 2010
Yea the torrington bearing is there, I've ordered a new pushrod, it will be here today. I'm thinking I will probably take a ball bearing from a valve body in a transmission and make the rod push a bit further.but its just weird how its doing... ill make a quick video tonight and post it up here to better show u how its doing.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The clutch perch should have an adjuster where the cable meets it and the cable itself has another adjuster less than a foot from the end where it meets the clutch perch. If the stck of new plates you put in is significantly taller than the ones you took out, you will probably need to adjust the cable to make it "longer".

You should have about a nickle's width worth of play so that the first fraction of an inch that you pull the level should take up the slack before it then starts pushing the pressure plate outward and letting the clutches slip.

Oct 8, 2010
High Lord Gomer said:
The clutch perch should have an adjuster where the cable meets it and the cable itself has another adjuster less than a foot from the end where it meets the clutch perch. If the stck of new plates you put in is significantly taller than the ones you took out, you will probably need to adjust the cable to make it "longer".

You should have about a nickle's width worth of play so that the first fraction of an inch that you pull the level should take up the slack before it then starts pushing the pressure plate outward and letting the clutches slip.
Okay ill work on that this evening, and believe it or not, your explination has made more sense to me than anyone else's. So kudos to you for that, I will definitely tweak the adjusters tonight and see what I come up with.

Oct 8, 2010
High Lord Gomer said:

Thanks man I did what u said and the clutch is working fine now. I appreciate your help big time. Now, what's the best way for clutch break in?

Top Bottom