MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
I am ...was....putting new fibers and metals in my clutch...everything went fine until I went to torque my screws the fit through the springs ....The manual says 8.8 newton meters....ok so I go to tighten them and notice that all it is doing is compressing the springs (thinking this isnt right) so the screw bottoms out and snaps the post off.. (not a happy camper) what did I miss !!I thought I was following the manual ?help the part will be here in a day and I cant aford to make the same mistake twice...

And props to Freddette !!! I love someone who ALLWAYS has it instock !!!might be alittle more but I wanna ride !!!

Mike T

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I'm having a hard time visualizing what went wrong from your description. Do you have a shop manual? The bolts fit through the spring-holder plate, through the spings and thread into the towers on the clutch wheel.

someday

Jul 10, 2000
And they do indeed compress the springs as you tighten them but they ought to bottom then tighten. Did you just tork them too much? They are in some fragile material.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I did this on my tt600 several years ago. That's when I went out and got a torque wrench. It only takes about 7 ft/lbs, which isn't much force at all.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah the bodge way to fit this is to drill a countersink in the back of the plate & from the back run a c/s bolt to hold the pillar on using the same thread the bolt from the front does, just make sure both bolts can fit in together.

This becomes a major P.I.T.A. when you go to take it apart though, as they like to spin rather than undo so the wiser make serrations to key the c/s head to the housing.

PS make sure the torque wrench you buy goes low enough. Most auto ones don't.

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Brush that is the right bolt and when it bottomed out on the wheel clutch (the plate with four screw towers) it snapped the tower off (and yes I was using a torque wrench)....so maybe I shouldnt use a torque wrench just let them hit the bottom and leave them,also when I took it apart 1 of the 4 screws was a little loose.

BTW what is a bodge ??

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Are you sure you did not just over-torque it? I can’t see the bolt bottoming out unless there was some debris in the threaded hole. The length of the bolt and the depth of the threaded hole should have been designed to prevent bottoming (e.g. the bolt should be shorter than the depth of the hole + the thickness of the spring holder plate). Maybe there was some binding due to thread damage? The only advice I can offer is to do a hand tight fit up with just the clutch wheel and spring holder plate to satisfy yourself how it all goes together and that each bolt threads in easily.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Is the screw that was loose in the tower that broke? Likely not known at this time. Maybe the reason it was loose is because the tower was fractured?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom