clutch slip, kips valves, jetting????

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
put a new answer s/a on bike 2weeks ago..repacked it then got on it...very, very sluggish..back in shop, checked for obstruction in s/a..nothing. rode again still sluggish, it almost feels like my clutch is slipping...prior to new s/a bike was running near perfect. I've had some problems with getting my clutch cable set correctly. Anyone's thoughts: i assume i need to check my jetting again, then maybe clean my kips, been only a few months since i cleaned them though, could my clutch went bad just overnight, or am i making my clutch bad with a possible ill adjusted cable? Thoughts?

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
If you just changed silencers... I would say the problem is probably with jetting. Since you don't have to do anything with the clutch or the clutch cable when you put a silencer on, I don't see how that could have gotten messed up. Have you looked at your plug since you put the new silencer on? And if you cleaned your exhaust valves a few months ago, I don't think that would be the problem either.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
well the clutch cable was a problem area at the same time as the new s/a, that is why i'm not sure. I pulled the plug and it looked rich but not as rich as it feels like it is running.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'...or am i making my clutch bad with a possible ill adjusted cable?'

Possibly.

Easy enough to tell if it's slipping. Feather it @ WOT in a fairly high gear. When you let off, it should hook up in a very positive manner.

Considering what you say to be taken at face value...it worked fine, you changed the S/A, now it don't work fine. It's a silencer/jetting issue.

Or, the S/A worked fine until you repacked it?

Well? Pretty much solid that the packing is the issue, right? They are more commonly packed too loose than too tight.

Put your other (stock?) muff back on.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
should the silencer be tightly packed, i think i have it fairly tight...!?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
One man's tight is another man's loose, I suppose.

What is of note is when the symptom started. If directly after a repack, I'd assume a problem with that......not go off hunting for something new.

If you have your oem pipe to swap, the question is easily answered.

Tell some to 'tighten the front axle cap nuts,' and they'll break 'em off. Tell some to 'tighten the rear axle nut,' and the thing will end up falling out!

Unfortunately, there isn't a torque spec for S/A packing.

The more popular S/As for the kdx, the PC and the TCII (these two being longer than most 'track' non-arrester units) will take an entire package of packing from most vendors.

If you were the first one inside yours, you could get an idea of how tight it should be from the oem packing. It's fairly firm. If, when you're done, it's light and fluffy, you did it wrong.

BTW...you use something like masking tape to hold the pack together. Keeps it from shifting during install and operation.

You did that?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i used wire to wrap it together...although masking tape seems like a better solution...first time i've heard that tip! i think i will throw old s/a on then go from there. thanks again canyn

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
For wire to hold it, the wire would have to be rather tight.....thus kinda' defeating the whole purpose.

You'll usually find tape on the existing pack, which is to say I have on a couple of different S/As.

The width of the tape does a better job than wire.

Some further blah.....

The aftermarket packs of fluff I've seen are longer than the S/A (well, longer than my PC S/A). I cut it to the correct length. The left over piece (8" or so?) I split so it's a good fit. End up with a layering effect.

At any rate, it all gets used. Can't say mine is perfect...I haven't watched a 'pro' repack an S/A. Can't imagine mine working any better than it does, either. Bottom end did improve (compared to old oem pack), sound is good.

Suits me.

BTW..My next pack will be with 4-stroke packing. A local track maniac and shop owner sez he found it to outperform any 2-stroke he'd tried. Riders are always asking him what makes his bike sound so good compared to every other bike on the track.

He says it's his works engine! ;)

No, I don't know that he's ever used performax.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom