Clutch sticking

gonzodog

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2001
I need a little advice on my 96 KDX's clutch. I switched this year to Mobil1 ATF in the tranny from plain old ATF, and the past three rides I have had the clutch stick 'engaged' upon putting it into gear after starting it up.
After it 'jumps/lunges forward' when I let out the clutch (usually kills the engine), the clutch is free and works well - no grabbiness or slipping the rest of the ride. This only happens after the bike has been sitting for a few days.
I know the basket fingers are worn, the bike's a 96, but, with the excellent clutch action during riding, not sure this is the cause.

So - whatcha think?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you could always pull the side cover and clean the clutch plates. then reassemble with the old style ATf and see if the problem goes away.
I bought a bike that someone had put really thick oil in and the clutch dragged bad until I cleaned it.
I have also seen this caused by worn clutch basket. I have taken the dremel and ground the clutch basket down until smooth again. This worked.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…